Central Florida continues to lead Ball State

Bortles throws third touchdown in quarter

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The absolute last thing Ball State would want to have happen on its first offensive play of the second half would be to turnover the ball.

But that's exactly what happened when running back Jahwan Edwards fumbled the ball away and Central Florida recovered at the Ball State 38-yard line. But Ball State was able to put on a defensive stand and forced Central Florida into a turnover on downs.

On getting the ball back, Ball State moved the ball well again with the passing game, but couldn't get inside the red zone.

Kicker Steven Schott made up for his missed field goal in the first half by hitting a 45-yard field goal to cut Central Florida's lead to 28-10 with 7:54 left in the third quarter.

Ball State tried converting a surprise onside kick, but Central Florida was able to recover and start at midfield.

Central Florida took advantage of the field position as Blake Bortles threw his third touchdown pass of the game. After avoiding Ball State's Brandon Newman, Bortles scrambled to his left and found wide receiver J.J. Worton for a seven-yard pass.

The score extended the Knights lead to 35-10.

Ball State quarterback Keith Wenning was injured after he was sacked. He appeared to hurt the same ankle he hurt in the game against Ohio.

Score: Central Florida 35, Ball State 10