Ball State cruises by NAIA’s Holy Cross

Junior Majok Majok successfully dunks the ball in Wednesday’s game against Holy Cross. The Cardinals defeated the Crusaders 76-57. DN PHOTO RJ RICKER

After receiving a pass off a pick-and-roll with Jauwan Scaife, Majok Majok took one step before elevating above two defenders for a double-clutch and-one layup off the glass in the second half.

Holy Cross (Ind.) tried everything to stop Ball State’s junior forward, but not even fouling could prevent Majok from using his physical advantages to dominate inside in Wednesday’s game.

Anchored by his 18 points and a career-high 17 rebounds, the Cardinals (3-4) cruised to a 76-57 win over the NAIA Division II Saints (5-6) to end the team’s four-game losing streak. 

“A lot of people talked bad about Holy Cross, but I think this was actually a big win for us,” freshman guard Marcus Posley said. “We want to come out and play the same way every game — with high intensity. This was a good win so we could bounce back and definitely get our confidence up a little higher to execute even better in the coming games.”

While Majok didn’t need much help scoring inside, Posley scored 14 points and dished out a game-high five assists to help get other teammates easy scoring opportunities. 

For much of the second half, Holy Cross sat back in a zone and Posley threaded passes through small windows in the defense.

“I love when people play zone,” Posley said. “Just attacking open gaps is my favorite and finding other people when they’re wide open.”

Open looks weren’t always kind to Ball State players Wednesday. A bevy of layups and close-range shots glanced off the backboard and rim.

Despite getting separation often from their defenders, the Cardinals shot 14-of-39 from the field in the first half. 

“We missed some easy layups in the first half, even a little bit in the second half as the game went by,” Majok said. “We just tried to grind it out and pull away.”

Ball State eventually did pull away as the team turned 18 Holy Cross turnovers into as many points. 

The Cardinals started to guard the Saints full court in the second half and play the type of up-and-down game the team seems more comfortable in. 

“I think transition is a good part for us,” Posley said. “It shows our strength because we’ve got a lot of guys that can get up the floor. Just the biggest thing right now is finishing at the basket, finishing with contact.”

When the team wasn’t scoring on the break, Ball State rode Majok down the stretch to ruin any hope of a comeback. 

Posting his third double-double in seven games, the Cardinals’ big man finished 6-of-8 from both the field and free throw line as his play helped extend the lead to as many as 22 points in the second half. 

“A lot of people said [the Saints] were bad, or an NAIA team, but it doesn’t mean anything to me,” Posley said. “Obviously, they’re here for the reason, they’re playing against us for a reason. You’ve got to come out and play hard every single game and treat it like it’s a championship game.”