YEAR OF SERVICE

Mormon student takes time off school for missionary work in Brazil

Elder Jared Knotts, back center, poses with another missionary and Rio de Janeiro locals. Knotts is on a mission trip in Rio de Janeiro with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. PHOTO COURTESY OF JARED KNOTTS

Root beer is one of the main topics featured in most of Jared Knotts’letters he sends home. That and his longing for Pizza Hut and Twitter, all of which the vocal performance major cannot come across in Brazil, where he will reside for the next 18 months.

Knotts is in South America as a Mormon missionary, and while he feels he is contributing to his church, he said he also realizes the little things that he misses about campus.

His mother, Joleen, said he has always been interested in spiritual things, but six months ago, his interest took him to an entirely new place.

All members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pay a tithing — to give one-tenth of their life to the church. When members become adults, they can tithe their time to the church by going on a mission. Knotts chose to serve by teaching in Brazil for two years.

After intensive planning and preparation, including learning Portuguese, the Ball State student made his way to the missionary training center in South America. His 16-hour days consisted of furthering his knowledge of the Portuguese language as well as immersing himself into the culture. Knottsrecalled his long days as fun and challenging, and he said he was thankful for everything he did to prepare before he left for Brazil.

Once he settled in, Knotts was granted Internet access, but only one day a week for a limited amount of time. During the brief time he spends connected to the rest of the world, he takes a minute to write home to his family and friends to update them on the happenings of his trip and in his life.

Joleen Knotts keeps the rest of his family and friends updated on Knotts’ experiences through a blog. She posts letters he emails to her and photos of his experiences. Sometimes, she will include snippets of letters he sends just to her.

When asked what he missed the most, Knotts said, “Root beer and Twitter for sure.”

But Knotts also misses the eighth floor of Studebaker West, singing in Sursa Hall with the Statesmen and his brothers in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.

“In some ways, his hiatus from singing at Ball State gives him the opportunity to let his voice naturally develop with age and then to share that maturity when he returns to campus,” said Andrew Crow, one of Knotts’ professors.

From joking about managing to get a tan and being excited to hug his friends when he finally returns in 2014, his voice echoes in each and every letter.

Root beer is one of the main things featured in most of Knotts’ letters home.

“Jared loves root beer almost as much as his religion,” said Jared Green, one of Knotts’ best friends at Ball State. “Two days before he left, we got together and had our last root beer. I actually saved the bottle, creepily enough, and I plan on buying him a six-pack of IBC when he gets back.”

Knotts also makes other remarks that show just how much he misses aspects of home. At one point, he requested his mother change his profile picture on Facebook and then pointed out getting the chance to wear his favorite Ball State T-shirt.

Knotts’ love for Ball State has not diminished. With plans to return for Fall 2014, he knows things will have changed. Many friends will have graduated and professors and curriculum will change, but he said he knows some things will remain.

“LaFollette will always be old, the Atrium will always be crammed during lunch, West Quad will always be way too far away from my other classes, Greek’s and Carter’s will always be the best food on the weekend and Club Bracken will always be the chillest place to study on a Sunday night past 11,” Knotts said.

Though friends, family and professors notice Knotts’ absence from Ball State, those who are close to him are rooting him on and can’t wait for his return in 18 months.

“I know that the experiences he is having in Brazil will help him in so many ways and that he will not be the same person he was when he left,” Joleen Knotts said. “He will be better, more mature, more caring, more empathetic toward others whose lives may be harder than what his has been, more knowledgeable about other cultures and that no matter who we come into contact with, there is always something we can learn from them.”