Student voluntary services offers volunteer event

Despite the cold, cloudy weather, more than 160 students swept across Muncie to rake leaves for the 21st year. 

Saturday’s fall leaf raking event was organized by Student Voluntary Services.

The event provided an opportunity for students to assist residents in the community who cannot rake the leaves in their yards. 

“We helped an elderly woman rake her yard,” Carly Gallmeister, head of the committee, said. “She was so grateful that someone had came over to help her. It made her so happy,”

Student volunteers were scattered across Delaware County, from 13 miles north in Eaton to areas by the Muncie Mall.

SVS visited about 60 homes in the community, Gallmeister said. 

“People go into it with a mindset that it’s something they have to do or required to do,” she said. “However, it turns out to be a really great experience, and they enjoy it.”

Many students from greek life participated in the event, because it is a way to get involved in the community and to obtain service hours. 

“Many of the people here are either in a fraternity or sorority,” Corey Christner, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, said. “It is a great way to come together, meet new people and help out the community.”

Two shifts — 8 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. — allowed for flexibility, which was why some students were able to participate.

”It is good for a big group to participate in, and we are just raking leaves, so it is not too hard,” senior Hollin Bolden said. 

All the materials, such as rakes, trash bags and gloves, were provided. 

Transportation was provided for those who chose to participate in the coordinated event, though some chose to participate in the independent event and arranged their own transportation.