State Superintendent: Ritz 53%, Bennett 47%

Glenda Ritz elected state superintendent

After three years as state superintendent of public instruction, Tony Bennett conceded to his Democratic opponent Glenda Ritz.

Bennett gave his concession speech at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

“I dare say this is the last time I’ll ever be on a stage like this,” he said. “So I’m going to sign off by saying I have no regrets.”

While Bennett had played a role in enacting stricter teacher and school accountability methods, Ritz had pledged during her campaign to focus less on punishing schools and more on supporting them.

“I learned from [Ritz’] body language that Tony Bennett imposes an artificial growth model on our students to make it look like they’re failing,” said Trish Whitcomb, Ritz’ campaign chairman.

As the new superintendent, Ritz said the next four years will focus on quality education.

“As I traveled across the state, it was clear that Hoosiers don’t want their tax dollars going toward the privatization of our schools,” she said. “And they don’t want their teaching and learning environments to be about teaching to the test, resulting in grading of our schools with a flawed A to F accountability model.”

Colleen Regan, a senior education major, said the education system in the state was very negative with Bennett.

“If [Bennett] were to be re-elected, then [teachers] would be forced to meet all of these standards that aren’t important,” she said. “It shouldn’t be a part of learning because we’re here to teach [children].”

During his concession speech, Bennett asked the state to continue to spend the more than half of its budget allocated to education with the intent of enhancing children.

“We knew when we came here four years ago ... this work is going to be like me being a disposable lighter,” he said. “And that is, you’ve gotta light the fire and sometimes you gotta throw the lighter away and that’s what happened this evening.”

Ritz emphasized during her speech that she is an educator with an education agenda, not a politician with a political agenda.

Kelly Barmore, a senior elementary education major, said she is happy with the results.

“It’s important to have someone with so much experience and Glenda Ritz had a lot more experience,” Barmore said. “That is important for teachers that they have someone who is working for them and knows what they are going through.”

This race has been a referendum on education from the beginning, Ritz said. She added she plans to reorganize the department of education, allowing local public school districts to have the support they need.

“I’ve been told my work begins tomorrow as I prepare my lesson plans for the children of Indiana,” Ritz said.