WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: MAC'S RPI means Ball State has one shot at NCAA tournament

Cardinals will likely have to win conference tournament to reach preseason goal

When Ball State and other top Mid-American Conference women's volleyball programs beefed by their non-conference schedule in 2012, they probably expected a bit more respect when the NCAA's RPI rankings were finally released.

Count coach Steven Shondell as one of those a bit disrespected.

"Our conference this year, I think overall, our division [West] is every bit as good as it was last year," Shondell said. "It's just that we all went out and played a lot tougher schedules this year and picked up more losses, but when you look at our league all of the top teams have significant numbers of players back."

Last season, the MAC had four teams in the top-50 in RPI while this year, its highest team is Bowling Green at 68. The MAC still has six teams in the top-100, however.

Shondell said some of those top teams were asked before the season by the conference to boost their schedules.

"All of the top teams were pretty much given orders by the conference office that they wanted to display a really tough preseason schedule with a number of top-100 teams, and I think we all did that," he said. "When you play those top teams, you're going to pick up some losses early in the season."

Ball State's chances at an at-large big are small after carrying a 9-8 record with no team's currently in the top-50 left on its schedule. With the MAC being down compared to last year, it will be unlikely to see two teams reach the NCAA tournament.

Shondell said it puts the pressure on Ball State to play well during the conference schedule and eventually the conference tournament.

"I think everyone has to look at the Mid-American Conference season as an opportunity to prepare for the conference tournament, because at this point in time it looks like it's going to be probably a one bid league based on the early RPI," he said.

Despite picking up two losses in its last road trip, Shondell still thinks his team has a chance to pull out a MAC West title. To do so, it's going to take improvement where Ball State has struggled most - on the road.

"Our division is just absolutely loaded again," Shondell said. "The team that can pick up some road wins is going to be the team that comes out on top. I told [the team] that you can win the MAC this year probably with four or five losses."

Before its next road trip, Ball State has to play two teams ranked a bit higher in RPI at Worthen Arena. Central Michigan will visit Muncie ranked 76th in RPI while Eastern Michigan is just behind at 77.

Still, it will be the conference tournament that will decide things for Ball State and the rest of the MAC. With the MAC possibly getting only one bid for the NCAA tournament, the Cardinals will need to make strides before it arrives to Geneva, Ohio in November for the MAC tournament.

"The most important thing is going to be that weekend of the conference tournament," Shondell said. "These [Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan] are important matches for us but not nearly as important as the conference tournament."