Golf more than one man sport at BSU

Golf is often thought of as an individual sport, one person against the course.

But that’s not how everyone looks at it.

“We like to talk about Ball State golf like a family,” coach Mike Fleck said. “Even on away meets, we get tremendous support.”

This week on Ball State’s home course, the support system was out in force.

The group saw Ball State’s golfers shoot well, but not much was said about scores when everyone congregated around the clubhouse.

There were a lot of pictures, many laughs and even a joke about grade point averages snuck its way into conversation.

These sights and the invitational as a whole must have pleased the man being honored, Earl Yestingsmeier, who could not seem to get a smile off of his face.

Yestingsmeier was Ball State’s head golf coach for 31 years, and he also served as sports information director for 28 years.

As with just about every other Ball State golf match, Yestingsmeier was there cheering the Cardinals on every step of the way.

“It’s an honor in itself to be able to put on this tournament for him,” Fleck said.

Yestingsmeier’s prominence stretches outside of Muncie as well; every player and coach representing IUPUI made it a point to shake Yestingsmeier’s hand before they left the Delaware Country Club.

Ball State’s golfers’ performances on the course were the perfect compliment to the day.

The Cardinals touted five golfers in the top 10 and eight in the top 20.

Senior Joe Gasser fired the best round of his career in the third round and climbed 12 spots in the final 18 holes to finish the invitational in a tie second place with a 212 (75-72-65).

Gasser capped his tournament with an incredible 15-yard bunker shot that he landed just a few feet from the pin. 

The round was the lowest for every player and Fleck said it was the “highlight” of the tournament.

Junior Tyler Merkel and senior Alex Stinson kept up their impressive play and finished just one stroke back of Gasser in a tie for fifth.

Fellow seniors Tony Lazzara and Brodie Williams both carded in the top 15; Lazzara at 10th with a 216 (76-69-71) Williams in 13th with a 220 (74-72-74).

Freshman James Blackwell finished with a 228 (77-75-76).

Fleck said the individual event was especially important because it gave other guys on the team a chance to play competitive rounds of collegiate golf.

In his first action of the year, sophomore Zach Yinger took advantage of the opportunity and finished eighth overall with a 215 (73-69-73). 

In just his second collegiate tournament, freshman Tyler Ostrom marked a 217 (69-74-74), good enough for 11th place.

Ostrom’s first round had him in a tie for second, showing great potential for years to come. 

Redshirt freshman Albert Jennings finished in at 19th in his first event in his college career with a 222 (75-73-74). 

With so much success from his players, Fleck said the entire invitational was a “satisfying performance.”

According to rankings by Golfweek/Sagarin, Ball State is No. 36 in the country, and with just one more event left in the Fall Season, the team looks to drive itself even further in the national spotlight.