Ball State's depth chart reflects priority of nickel defense

When Ball State released its weekly game release on Monday, there was one notable change on the team’s depth chart. It wasn’t anyone losing its job as a starter, but the defense now shows it is in a nickel defense instead of its base defense. 

A nickel defense only means an extra defensive back is on the field, usually as a cornerback. Playing nickel allows a team to play more man coverage, and since there is the extra defensive back, it gives the defense more speed.

Defensive coordinator Jay Bateman said his defense played in nickel about 65 percent of the time against Kent State. The defense also played the majority of the games against Clemson and Indiana in nickel defenses. Playing recent games in that defense is the reason for the change on the depth chart. 

“It’s more just going forward in the [Mid-American Conference],” Bateman said. “We just wanted to make that change.”

In its nickel defense, Ball State will bring off one if its three linebackers — usually Kenneth Lee or Justin Cruz — and bring on either Armand Dehaney or Quintin Cooper to play the nickel corner position. A player who plays a nickel defense has the abilities of being able to play man coverage, but also defend the run similar to a linebacker and blitz when needed. 

Dehaney has been seeing most of his playing time in the nickel formation rather than playing a base cornerback. He said it doesn’t make any real difference where he plays, he just wants to help the defense. 

“I expected to make an impact wherever I could, whether it was on special teams or on defense,” Dehaney said. “We’ve worked with [nickel] before, and I think it’s a great changeup for us.”

For Saturday’s game, Ball State will use the nickel to attempt to stop Northern Illinois’ offense led by quarterback Jordan Lynch. He steps in to take over for former quarterback Chandler Harnish, who’s now with the Indianapolis Colts.