National study gives Indiana a 'C' in postsecondary education

Early last week, the Institute for a Competitive Workforce released a state-by-state report card evaluating public postsecondary education, in which Indiana scored an overall C, scoring lower than both Illinois and Michigan.

The study, which was conducted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, rated state's 4-year and 2-year institutions based off several different criteria.

Indiana's 4-year institutions received a C in student access and success, a D in efficiency and cost-effectiveness, a B in meeting labor market demand and a C in transparency in accountability.

Terry King, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, said although the study shows aggregate numbers for the state's higher education system, it does not necessarily represent individual institutions.

"While we can't discern Ball State's impact on these ratings," King in an email said, "I can say with absolute certainty that we have been committed for many years to the delicate balance between a high-quality education and cost efficiencies, all while supporting student success and shortening time to graduation."

Indiana's 2-year institutions were also evaluated in the study, scoring higher than 4-year institutions in efficiency and cost effectiveness, but lower in student access and success, and meeting labor market demands.

Although Indiana's 4-year institutions lowest score was in efficiency and cost-effectiveness, King said Ball State still considers itself a very efficient university citing low health care costs, high productivity and low energy usage.

"These costs are a huge percentage of any institution's operating budgets," King said. "So we are pleased to have data based on nationally published studies and methodologies showing that we are indeed efficient in these areas."

King also said the next five-year strategic plan will remain focused on a continuation of quality and student success.

"We have several initiatives in place designed to increase student success, while lowering barriers and accelerating time to graduation," King said.

In November 2011, the university announced that Hoosier students who are on track to completing their undergraduate degrees within four years would receive a $500 Completion Scholarship in their final semester of study.

The university has also reduced the amount of required credit hours to graduate and lowered the cost of summer tuition to allow students to take classes year round.

These efforts are in part to help resolve the university's low graduation rate.

Ball State's future is one that is keeping a "relentless focus" on efficiency and student success, all to be guided by the university's strategic plans, King said, and although it is difficult to determine how Ball State has contributed to the state's overall grade, he said he believes work toward improvements is not yet complete.

"We are making good progress," King said. "And there is always more work that can and will be done."