Fire danger warning issued for central Indiana

The sweltering heat and lack of rain that has plagued counties all across the state has certainly not avoided Muncie and Delaware County.

A disaster emergency proclamation issued on June 20 and signed by Muncie Mayor Dennis Taylor, among other Delaware County leaders, prohibited the open burning of debris within city and county limits.

According to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, 73 counties have reported active burn bans, with the majority of the bans covering the entire county as opposed to one local area.

The original Delaware County burn ban has been in effect since June 16 and will remain in effect until further notice. Residents are strongly encouraged to attend public displays of fireworks and limit their own personal use of fireworks, especially those that are aerial devices.

The National Weather Service has also issued a fire danger warning for a large swath of central Indiana on Thursday.

The weather service said the already dry conditions combined with temperatures expected to soar above 100 degrees in some places, low humidity and winds gusting up to 30 mph could combine to create combustible conditions.

The weather service said a red flag warning will be in effect Thursday from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. from Kokomo in the north to Vincennes in the southwest and North Vernon in the southeast. Meteorologist Michael Koch said central Indiana generally doesn't have too many red flag warnings, although the weather service did issue one on Monday.

Koch said central Indiana sometimes goes years without a red flag warning.