Minnetrista offers free garden fair for community

The Minnetrista Garden Fair will take place this weekend, offering free gardening tips, demonstrations, food, vendors and plant sales.

The event, which attracted more than 5,000 visitors in 2011, will take place from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday and from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Sunday.

The fair will give participants the opportunity to enjoy food and products from more than 30 different vendors.

Offering advice and tips on different outdoor problems, Minnetrista will host presentations on several different topics.

Food vendors will include Compulsion Coffee, Baskin Robbins and Grand Grilling To Go.

An education tent will be available for participants to view hourly presentations by Minnetrista staff and outside presenters.

Presentations on Saturday include Jason Donati, a stormwater educator from the Muncie Delaware Stormwater Management who will be presenting ways to deal with different water issues. The presentation will include information on "rain barrels" and a walk to the Minnetrista Rain Gardens.

A representative from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Entomology, Kristy Stultz, will discuss emerald ash borer, an green Asian beetle that is highly destructive to ash trees.

Stultz will be speaking about the threat the beetle causes to wildlife in Muncie, and will provide those in attendance an "action plan" to help fight the problem.

Sunday's activities will include a presentation on the virtues of composting and offer advice to those who want to start their own compost piles.

The event is free and open to the public.