Ball State to host state Democrats conference

Ball State Democrats Executive Board will be hosting the annual College Democrats of Indiana Convention at Ball State for the first time with guests gubernatorial candidate John Gregg, Muncie mayor Dennis Tyler and Obama for America representative Mitch Stewart.

The convention will be held from 9:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. in the Arts and Journalism Building.

Senior business administration major and Campus Affairs Director Chris Griffith said the convention is a great way to get college Democrats excited and energized about the election, and the event is available to students without any cost.

"We want to make sure that we can get everyone here that's interested," Griffith said. "It's about getting people involved with a growing organization and furthering their beliefs."

Student Democrats from Indiana University-Bloomington, Earlham College, IUPUI and University of Notre Dame will join Ball State students at the state convention this year.

The event will play host to a series of influential speakers including Tyler, Stewart, Gregg and former Democratic Indiana State Auditor candidate Sam Locke, as well as workshops with varying focuses.

Gregg said, having not visited Ball State since 1970, he looks forward to making a return visit.

Gregg said he will discuss important issues such as jobs, economic incentives and making college affordable with young people.

"I feel real strongly that when these young adults get out of college, if they want to stay in Indiana, there needs to be jobs," Gregg said.

Gregg also plans on tackling a few platform points, including what he calls the "War on Women," something that does not come down to a pro-life or pro-choice argument.

"The idea of denying young women, and unemployed and uninsured women, access to preventative health care and cancer screenings is just wrong," Gregg said.

The main goals of the conventions are to create opportunities for college Democrats from across the state to network with like-minded peers, as well as providing participants with skills to be involved with the 2012 electoral process.

Drew Farrington, a junior telecommunications major and member of the University Democrats Board of Directors, said you don't have to be registered for the event to attend, although it is encouraged.

"I would encourage anyone who is politically interested in the Democratic Party to attend," Farrington said, "and if they're not involved with a Democratic organization, this would be a great opportunity to get involved with the students that are in it and a great way to network with students all across the state."