Student pursues country music career

Aspiring singer/songwriter to release first full-length album

Moments before freshman Kaily Hubble's first on-stage performance, she jumped up and down out of excitement and nervousness. A few deep breaths later with guitar in hand, Hubble was ready to begin the performance in front of her entire high school. That single performance was all it took — Hubble was set on making a living as a country singer.

"No one really knew that I could sing and play the guitar except close friends," Hubble said.

Even though no one was aware of her talent, country music was nothing new to her. Hubble grew up listening to country music and was taught to play guitar in the seventh grade by her grandfather, who was also an aspiring singer. Although her grandfather did not achieve success in the music business, he was able to further acquaint Hubble with her passion for music.

The rest of her family has been supportive as well. Her parents have supported her every move with no questions asked.

"It's unreal how much my parents have done for me financially and emotionally," Hubble said.

Two years since her debut performance, Hubble is currently working on her first album and has written about 50 original songs.

"I can write about a song every day, but I don't keep all of them," Hubble said.

This past summer, Hubble traveled to Nashville, Tenn., for a week to record her songs at County Q Productions. She said she was able to have this opportunity because she met one of her managers, Eddie Wenrick, on a cruise in November 2010 where talent groups performed in front of talent agents. After performing on the last day of the talent search, she was able to catch Wenrick's attention. Hubble said she was one of the two people on his call back list.

"My heart dropped when I saw this," Hubble said.

Hubble's Chi Omega sorority sisters are proud of her as well. She performed at the Miss Greek event for Sigma Nu's philanthropy fundraiser. Her sorority sister Mallory Sturgeon, a junior public relations major, said she felt goose bumps when Hubble performed.

"I never realized one of my sorority sisters had such a great talent," Sturgeon said. "It was so impressive, it literally sounded professional."

Hubble said she plans on working on her album after the school year is over. Although people told her to not go to school and only pursue her music career, she said education is still important to her. She said she is happy that she came to Ball State because she has made some great friends and joined a sorority. However, when the time comes and she has to pick one, she said she plans on picking her music career.

She said she can picture herself moving to Nashville and pursuing her music career even further. Hubble said she wouldn't mind living there and raising a family there because she realizes this is a place where her dream of becoming a country singer can come true.

"I want to do whatever it takes," Hubble said.

Learn more about the aspiring country artist at kailyhubblemusic.com.