Open house provides technology help to Ball State community

Many people have experienced the misfortune of a malfunctioning laptop or the task of learning a new software program on their own.

Today, students and faculty members will have the opportunity to have a more in-depth look at the extensive technology services and help that is offered on campus.

Ball State's Unified Technology Support will be holding an open house from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Bracken Library 101.

Dan Lutz, director of Unified Technology Support, said the main goal of the tech center open house is to expose the university to the operation.

"We just want to get people into the space," Lutz said. "Then our staff will be placed at all different locations and will talk about the services that we offer."

Formerly spread out in Robert Bell and other buildings across campus, the university's technology services consolidated during the summer and built a new area on the first floor of Bracken Library, which opened in August.

The event will include a series of presentations and demonstrations by students as well as representatives from well-known companies such as Apple, AT&T and Verizon.

"We have demonstrations about e-textbooks and e-textbook publishing," Lutz said. "Apple will be doing that and they will also be talking about how to use the iPad 2 for classes."

AT&T will be represented at the event and will showcase the university's bConnected application on different Droid devices.

The technology store will also be open to students and stocked with Apple products. All will be available for students to test.

There be students demonstrating how to use software programs, such as Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop, for interested students who are having difficulty with programs.

"We can set up appointments, and they can come in and get assistance [for the programs]," Lutz said. "We're helping students know what we can and can't do for them."

Refreshments will be served, and free T-shirts will be handed out, but supplies are limited.

Free flash drives will also be given out with any purchased Apple products.

The open house will give students a chance to put a face with a voice when it comes to members of the HelpDesk staff.

"This is the university's space, and we want people to let us know how to make the space better," Lutz said.