MEN'S BASKETBALL: Players confident after recent win

Kamieniecki still day-to-day with lingering back injury

While Saturday's win against Southern Illinois didn't improve Ball State's 4-8 Mid-American Conference record (13-12 overall), the players came away with an all-new positive mindset.

"That win really helped get some momentum, especially with two road games coming up," junior guard Jauwan Scaife said. "Now we have got a little more insurance our shots are falling, we can go in there with a self-motivation and confidence that we can make shots. We'll be more comfortable doing things we did last game going into the next two games. That'll be big for our next game against Western Michigan and I really think it'll pay off."

Ball State plays at Western Michigan in the first of its final four games in 14 days Wednesday at 7 p.m.

The first two games are against teams which sit ahead of Ball State in the MAC West Division standings. Western Michigan is 5-7 in conference play and Eastern Michigan sits at 6-6.

Despite the break from the physical nature of MAC play, Taylor said the ESPN Bracketbusters game against Southern Illinois didn't soften his team up.

"I think Southern was great preparation for what we're going to see," Taylor said. "In terms of the physical play, the inside emphasis they have with how they play basketball_that inside-out style. Hopefully that will get us ready for our next run of games in the MAC."

In the first meeting on Jan. 7, Ball State beat Western Michigan 78-69 in one of the team's best performances of the season.

Taylor said the Cardinals can't count on similar things working again, however.

"The second time around you have to be careful not to duplicate the same thing," Taylor said. "Western is a very good program who are very scout heavy. They're going to look at that film and cut it up quite a bit and see what they did wrong. They're going to make adjustments and take certain things away from us. We're just going to find out what things work well and what changes to make."

Western Michigan was forced to play several players coming back from injury early in the first contest because the Broncos starting center Matt Stainbrook got into foul trouble. While Taylor said he doesn't expect that to happen again, he feels like this team isn't bringing any new elements the Cardinals will need to adjust to.

"I felt like they were pretty much at full strength when we played them the first time," Taylor said. "While some guys may have been rusty, they were more experienced players_guys that know the system. They look pretty much the same. They're expecting everyone ready for when we play them and that's typically how it is when we play."

Ball State hasn't been so lucky with the injury bug.

Sophomore forward Matt Kamieniecki is still day-to-day with back problems, but it seems as though he's doubtful for Wednesday's game. Taylor said the team is hopeful Kamieniecki can return to practice this week.

Over the past two seasons, the final game in the Western Michigan series has all but determined the MAC West Division champion and significant MAC Tournament seeding.

Taylor said Wednesday's game doesn't have as much at stake because there are other games to play in conference, but he still expects an intense contest.

"Hopefully we can come out and can focus on the game plan," Taylor said. "It's not the last game of the season where everything is riding on this game, but I know our kids will be fired up."

It's not as if the players need any extra motivation. After the on-court scuffle last season and countless physical games after, Scaife and other players have made it no secret they don't like Western Michigan.

Scaife said playing at Western Michigan is one of the most hostile atmospheres in the conference.

"We've had a couple situations where we always get into it there," Scaife said. "They haven't always accepted us there. Every time we go there, it's almost like hatred toward us. You can definitely feel it prior to the game and see it when you're on the bench as well."