MEN'S BASKETBALL: Cardinals lose eighth straight in conference

Ball State currently at No. 10 seed for MAC Tournament with loss

Ball State may have ended its seven-game losing streak Saturday, but the Cardinals Mid-American Conference funk is still intact.

The team's most recent loss, a 78-61 defeat at Western Michigan on Wednesday, marks the eighth straight loss in conference play.

Unfortunately for the Cardinals, the loss also guarantees them a losing record in the MAC for the first time since the 2008-09 season.

A 43-26 second half run powered the Broncos to victory after the two teams were tied 35-35 at halftime. Western Michigan shot 55 percent (26-of-47) for the game and 65 percent (13-of-20) after the break.

Ball State hasn't won at Western Michigan since the 2004-05 season with each of the past three meetings in Kalamazoo, Mich., ending in double-digit losses for Ball State.

Sophomore forward Chris Bond was a bright spot for the Cardinals, leading the team with 14 points in 26 minutes. Guards Jauwan Scaife and Jesse Berry chipped in 10 points each to round out the double-figure scoring for Ball State.

Senior center and Lou Henson Award finalist Jarrod Jones once again struggled for the Cardinals. His 2-of-9 shooting night mirrored Ball State's poor performance on the offensive end as the team shot just more than 35 percent from the floor.

Possibly the only good news for Ball State was sophomore Matt Kamieniecki was back in the lineup for the first time in four games. But that news was clouded behind an injury to senior point guard Randy Davis. He was limited to 10 minutes of play and didn't start the game.

With the loss, Ball State has now fallen to the a bottom three team in the entire conference. At this point, the Cardinals would travel to an opposing campus site for its first round game of the MAC Tournament.

Ball State plays its final away game of the regular season Saturday when the team plays at MAC West Division-leading Eastern Michigan.