Meet the Miss Ball State contestants

Get to know the ladies competing for the title of Miss Ball State

Lauren Mazur, senior psychology major with a minor in interpersonal relations, has only competed in two pageants in her life. After graduating from Ball State, she hopes to receive a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, start her own practice and teach psychology at the college level. From LaPorte, Ind., she hopes to improve Ball State by making more immersive learning opportunities available to students.

Activities: Ball State University Singers, Peer Health Education, Psi Chi Honor Society, Mortar Board Honor Society

Favorites food: Macaroni and Cheese

Favorite musical artist/band — Coldplay

Favorite restaurant — Olive Garden

Favorite TV show — "The Vampire Diaries"

Favorite movie: "The Little Mermaid"

Describe your personality: "When it comes to work and school, I am very motivated and focused. Outside of the professional realm, though, I am incredibly goofy and outgoing."

Best college moment: "My most memorable college moment thus far would have to be my first Ball State University Singers ‘Spectacular' Show. It gave me the greatest adrenaline rush to be out on the John R. Emens Auditorium stage for the first time singing, dancing and having a great time."

Dream job: "Aside from the career goals I have already set, I would love to be Ariel at Disney World. I don't care how much money the position makes – I would be thrilled to do it for free."

Ideal vacation: "I love traveling, so my ideal vacation would be to visit multiple countries in one trip."

Ideal date: "Getting dinner is always a great way to get to know someone, but I also think active dates are fun. My ideal date would have both. Rock climbing or bowling allows you to connect with someone on a different level."

Celebrity crush: "He is a lot older than me, but I just can't get enough of Daniel Craig – especially in the Bond movies."

Hobbies: "I'm an artsy person. I enjoy photography, writing, singing, dancing and listening to music."

Biggest fear: "I have a strong fear of heights, but I'm trying to conquer it. Think I'll start with the monkey bars."

***

Allison Hostetler, a freshmen nursing major with a minor in dance, has competed in some high school pageants. From Millersburg, Ind., she hopes to become a nurse or nurse practitioner after graduating. She would like to improve Ball State's overall reputation.

Activities: Ball State University Dance Marathon, Campus Crusade for Christ, Ball State Nursing Association, National Society of Leadership and Success

Favorites food: Mint chocolate chip ice cream

Favorite musical artist/band — Casting Crowns

Favorite restaurant — anything Chinese

Favorite TV show — "Criminal Minds," "CSI" or "Law and Order"

Favorite movie — "Ever After"

Describe your personality: "I have a very optimistic view on life and love to make others feel good about themselves."

Best college moment: "I can't think of one specific moment, but my whole experience here at Ball State has been filled with meeting and spending time with wonderful new friends."

Dream job: "I would love to instruct dance therapy to mentally and physically disabled people as well as chemotherapy and radiation patients."

Ideal vacation: "I would love to take a cruise because I enjoy warm weather, traveling and trying new things. Everyday, new opportunities are available and new places are able to be explored."

Ideal date: "We would take a walk by a river and just spend quality time talking and laughing. Then we would go out to dinner and finish the night off at home watching a funny movie."

Celebrity crush: Tim Tebow

Hobbies: "I love crocheting and doing anything crafty. I enjoy dancing, singing and acting. I am an animal lover and enjoy spending time with my parrot and two cockatiels. I was a 10-year 4-H member and have always had fun out in the barn with my beef steers and dairy feeder calves. Even though I am not in 4-H anymore, I still have two younger brothers back at home who are in 4-H, and I can help them when I am home for the summer."

Biggest fear: "I am very scared of the dark."

***

For Kara Mawhorter, a junior language pathology major, the Miss Ball State pageant will be the second pageant she has competed in. From Columbia City, Ind., Mawhorter said she wants to work in an ENT office or hospital as a medical speech pathologist. If she could do one thing to improve Ball State, she would lower the cost of parking passes.

Favorite food: Fried pickles

Favorite musical artist/band: Lady Gaga

Favorite restaurant: P.F. Chang's

Favorite TV show: "Project Runway"

Favorite movie: "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"

Describe your personality: "I am a slight perfectionist when it comes to school, but other than that I am really easy going and laid back. I am really shy at first when people meet me, but after I know someone, I am a lot more loud and exuberant."

Best college moment: "Getting my first client in speech therapy. It is the first taste of what my career is going to be like and it is just a really exciting time."

Dream job: "My dream job would be to be a stylist. I love fashion and I think it would be so fun to just plan outfits out for other people."

Ideal vacation: "I would love to travel up to Alaska and spend time looking at glaciers, hiking, whale watching, taking trains up into the mountains, and just taking in all the scenery."

Ideal date: "My perfect date would be spending the night in, cooking a nice meal together and just renting a movie and watching it. Nothing overly fancy, just spending quality time together."

Celebrity crush: Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling

Hobbies: Cooking, baking, singing and reading

Biggest fear: "The ocean absolutely terrifies me."

***

Chloe Anagnos, freshman telecommunications major and cello performance minor, has been competing in pageants since she was 14-years-old. A native to Elkhart, Ind., she hopes to become a film director and producer after graduating from Ball State. Although she said it is difficult for her to find improvements for Ball State, she said she wouldn't mind if a Chipotle was brought to campus.

Activities: Alpha Omicron Pi sorority property manager, Excellence in Leadership ambassador

Favorite food: Salmon and rice

Favorite musical artist/band: Dave Matthews Band and Coldplay

Favorite restaurant: "The 523 Tap and Grill, my family's business in Elkhart!"

Favorite TV show: "Dexter. I love gory TV shows."

Favorite movie: "Into the Wild"

Describe your personality: "Charismatic, honest, driven and outgoing."

Best college moment: "I spent most of Christmas break filming, ‘Me and My Shadow: The Documentary,' with other BSU film students. Traveling throughout the East Coast and up into Canada with my friends while making this film was unforgettable."

Dream job: "I would love to produce and direct the Miss America broadcast or the Oscars. Both, preferably."

Ideal vacation: "Backpacking through the great Alaskan north."

Ideal date: "Dinner followed by a stroll in the park with a stop for some ice cream."

Celebrity crush: "Gerard Butler makes my heart beat like a jungle drum."

Hobbies: "Playing piano and cello, scrap booking, golfing, traveling and walking my miniature schnauzer, Fritz."

Biggest Fear: Clowns

***

Courtney Jurick, senior public relations major, has been competing in pageants for the past four years. From Valparaiso, Ind., Jurick said she wants to be on the PR staff for the Chicago Bulls and travel around the world speaking on behalf of the March of Dimes. If she could do one thing to improve Ball State, Jurick said she would try to get heated sidewalks along McGalliard Road, like they have added to Georgia Street in Indianapolis.

Activities: Alpha Omicron Pi, Code Red Dance Team and Ball Bearings

Favorite food: Fettuccine Alfredo

Favorite musical artist/band: Carrie Underwood

Favorite restaurant: Lucrezia Café

Favorite TV show: "Once Upon a Time"

Favorite movie: "The Help"

Describe your personality: "I am very energetic, outgoing, driven and the best multitasker that I know!"

Best college moment: "Last fall, I coordinated a walk at Ball State for the March of Dimes. I placed my fundraising goal at $500 and on the day of the walk, I found that I had raised over $1,000 for the organization with the help of my Code Red teammates and my [Alpha Omicron Pi] sorority sisters."

Dream job: "Playing Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical."

Ideal vacation: "Since I never leave time to just relax when I'm at school, my dream vacation involves warm, sunny days relaxing in a hammock on the beach reading a book."

Ideal date: "My ideal date is definitely a Colts, Blackhawks, Bulls or Pacers game and dinner with my boyfriend."

Celebrity crush: Channing Tatum

Hobbies: "I love singing, dancing, reading, watching movies, working out and spending time with my sisters and teammates outside of our mandatory events."

Biggest fear: "Without a doubt, spiders. I'm terrified of them no matter how small they are!"

***

Sarah Mitchem, a senior advertising major, entered Miss Ball State to promote the idea that beauty is through actions and not looks. She said if she wins, she wants to make a difference on Ball State's campus by promoting her belief that the media's image of beauty is not truly beautiful.

Activities: Women's Lacrosse Team, American Advertising Federation, Miss Black and Gold, Miss Unity, Volunteer at the Excel Learning Academy

Favorite band: "I am a very eclectic person when it comes to music, so I do not have a favorite because I love everything!"

Favorite movie: "My favorite movie is ‘Remember the Titans' because it shows how people can come together and make a difference even in the hardest times in life."

Hobbies/pastimes: "I love to be active in sports because I feel it is important to stay healthy and fit, and I also love to paint and draw because sometimes you can really get your true emotions out on a canvas."

Favorite food: "I love all kinds of foods, but my favorite would have to be loaded potato skins!"

Favorite class: "My sign language classes were my favorites; the teacher made it really fun to learn and the language is beautiful."

Celebrity crush: Channing Tatum

Role model/inspiration: My Dad

Favorite building/spot on campus: Frog Baby

Interesting fact: "I have been learning America Sign Language since I was 17 years old."

***

Mollie Smith, a sophomore interior design major, said she has always wanted to be Miss America and this is her first step. Her platform is called Pursuing Your Passion Through Education, and through that she wants to encourage younger students to get excited about education. She hopes to encourage other students to get involved in the community and make connections with kids at the Boys and Girls Club, the YMCA and other locations.

Activities: "I am a Resident Assistant in Woody/Shales. I tutor children at the YWCA each week. I was on the Homecoming court in the fall."

Favorite band: Michael Bublé

Favorite movie: "Just Go With It"

Hobbies/pastimes: "[I enjoy] relaxing with a good cup of coffee and friends, watching movies with my family, [and] catching up on the latest Miss America news."

Favorite food: Birthday cake, cheesecake, cupcakes, cake balls, etc.

Favorite class: Word Origins and Studio

Celebrity crush: "I would rather have my boyfriend, Chris Teaford from ISU."

Role model/inspiration: "[My role models are] Katie Stam [Miss America 2009] and my incredible mother and family."

Favorite building/spot on campus: Bookmark Café with a chai latte and good company

Interesting fact: "My Dad taught me how to whistle when I was 5 years old."

***

Megan Thwaites, a sophomore public relations and journalism major, has been a part of the Miss Indiana organization since she was a junior in high school. Through her platform, she said she hopes to promote the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Having lost five family members to cancer, she said promoting cancer research is an issue close to her heart. She said she wants to encourage other students to get involved in Relay for Life.

Favorite band: "I don't have a favorite band but I have a favorite artist, Elton John."

Favorite movie: "‘The Graduate' or ‘10 Things I Hate About You' [are my favorites]. I could probably quote either one of them from beginning to end. My friends won't even watch them with me anymore because I'm so annoying about finishing the sentences of the characters."

Hobbies/pastimes: "My favorite hobby is shopping; I think that's every girl's on the planet as well though. I spend a lot of my time with dance, running and spending time with my friends."

Favorite food: "A favorite food of mine is calamari or filet mignon. I can't choose between the two; they are both so good."

Favorite class: "My favorite class would be any news or journalism class I've taken. It is really interesting to me to learn more about my field of interest because that is my major, and you always want to be really familiar with what you're going to pursue for the rest of your life."

Celebrity crush: "I don't necessarily have a celebrity crush, although I have to say Ryan Gosling is really, really attractive!"

Role model/inspiration: "Someone who has always been of inspiration to me and a role model would be Reese Witherspoon. She is the spokesperson and head of the Avon breast cancer line and participates in charities for breast cancer. My platform is specifically the Relay for Life targeting all cancers not just breast cancer, but I obviously appreciate and support all she is doing to make advancements for breast cancer specifically."

Favorite building/spot on campus: "My favorite building on campus would be the ... [Art and Journalism Building] because that's where most of my classes are located. You always run into people you know, and there are tables set up promoting things on campus."

Interesting fact: "An interesting fact or two about me would be I went skydiving for my 20th birthday, and I got to meet some of the original members of ‘The Wizard of Oz!' If I can jump out of an airplane 12,000 feet in the air, I think I can handle anything that Miss Ball State can throw my way!"

***

Nicole Baringer, a junior Spanish and theatre major, said she entered Miss Ball State to be a positive role model to young girls in the community and to take advantage of the scholarship program. She said she wants to address the importance of being a role model and making positive impacts on the world as a college student. She said she hopes to change the stereotype of a college student as a irresponsiblepartier. She said to her pageants aren't all about glitz, glamour and a how you look in your swimsuit; it's about finding a cause you believe in and promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Activities involved in: CRU, Campus Bible Study, International Justice Mission,

Favorite band: "My favorite musical artist is constantly changing, but it is currently David Crowder Band. They are a Christian band, and their music covers several different styles/genres. They're lyrics are simple, but there is a lot of meaning and depth behind them, and the band is very inspirational to me as a Christian and a musician."

Favorite movie: "Again, a constant change, but I really like the movie ‘Sydney White.' It's a about a girl going off to college and tries to fit in with a cliché ‘girly-girl' sorority, when she really just needs to be herself. This movie has a strong female character and stresses the importance of independence and being true to yourself. It's also just a really funny chick flick I can sit down and watch with friends."

Hobbies/pastimes: "[My hobbies are] singing, dancing, shopping, spending time with friends and family. These things are such a big part of my life, especially my friends and family, and are what make me who I am."

Favorite class: "[My favorite class is] THEAT 299A — Voice for the non-Musical Theatre Major. This class gives me the opportunity to sing and grow as a musician, even though I am not a music major."

Role model/inspiration: "[My role models are} Katie Stam Irk, Miss America 2009 and Tim Tebow, quarterback for the Denver Broncos. Both of them are not shy about their faith and are inspirations to me to be proud and fearless about my own religious beliefs."

Favorite building/spot on campus: "My favorite place on campus is Pruis Hall. That's where my favorite class is, and it's also where we have CRU meetings every Thursday night. I always look forward to walking in those doors, no matter the reason I'm there."

Interesting fact: "I am left-handed."