Cardinal WINGS looks to raise money for students in need

In an effort to combat student withdrawal during tough economic times, a student group is spreading awareness about an alternative solution.

Cardinal WINGS is a Ball State organization striving to raise money for the university's Student Emergency Aid Fund. The group is launching its inaugural fundraising campaign starting today until Feb. 3.

The organization will be accepting donations in the Atrium on Monday through Wednesday and in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center on Thursday and Friday. Jan. 30 and 31, they will be in the Student Center and in the Atrium on Jan. 25-27. Those who donate at least $10 will be given a free Cardinal WINGS T-shirt.

"We have 1,000 T-shirts and we're hoping to get rid of all of them," junior sales major Chris Wilkey said. "If each of those students gives only $10, then we've raised $10,000 and that's pretty incredible."

The Student Emergency Aid Fund was developed to assist students who are unable to pay for tuition due to extreme circumstances. According to the group's website, the fund offers loans and grants to cover costs of up to $1,000. All of the proceeds from Cardinal WINGS will be given directly to the fund.

"If you have an apartment off campus and your roommates refuse to give you money for their share of the rent and you still need to pay for classes or you don't have money for the $400 worth of books that you need for a class to graduate, then you may be eligible for aid," Wilkey said. "The fund is there any time you are in need of money and have no way of getting it."

Several local businesses, including cardinal cupcakes & coneys, Cleo's and Pita Pit, are participating in the campaign by offering discounts to students seen wearing their Cardinal WINGS T-shirts. Pita Pit's discount of 20 percent off each purchase is in effect for the rest of the semester, while the offer of 10 percent off a purchase for cardinal cupcakes & coneys and $1 off any meal from Cleo's runs from Monday until Feb. 4.

The group was formed after several students came to the realization that few were aware that funds even existed. Currently, Cardinal WINGS has about 10 members, but is hoping to get a few more during the next two campaign weeks.

"We would love to get more people, especially considering that many of the people who are already involved in Cardinal WINGS are graduating at the end of the year," senior interpersonal communications major Taylor Walt said.

The organization is not only meant to aid students in need of money, but according to their organizational goals, it is also a means to increase student pride in the university and the student body.

"I was already really involved in giving back to the university and I loved the idea of students helping students financially," Walt said.