WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Future looking bright with the end of the 2011 season

Loss to Louisville in NCAA Tourney caps successful year

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — With Ball State's primary goals completed, a 0-3 loss to Louisville in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday to end its season came with an articulated feeling of accomplishment from coach Steve Shondell.

Instead of speaking on any disappointment with the final outcome in the post-game press conference, Shondell expressed his satisfaction in the way Ball State performed across the entire season, ending with a 25-8 overall record.

"It's certainly an honor for us to be in the tournament for the first time since 2002. It's been a long time coming," he said. "Once you get that taste of [the NCAA Tournament], that experience, you can't replace it."

In Shondell's second-year as head coach, Ball State showed growth from its 2010 season, in which it ended with a 24-5 record and a first-round exit in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

The sustained improvement could suffer a setback with the loss of the team's four seniors this year in Kelsey Brandl, Jennifer Boyd, Brittany McGinnis and Kaylee Schembra.

The departure of all four players, who contributed heavily to Ball State's rotation, should lead to larger roles for sophomore setter Jacqui Seidel, junior defensive specialist Lauren Schlaker, sophomore middle blocker Mindy Marx and freshman middle blockers Kelly Hopkins and Hayley Benson next season. Hopkins and Benson were redshirted this year.

Shondell acknowledged it would be difficult to replace the production of the outgoing players.

"I know next year we're going to be challenged again," he said. "You know, we lost four seniors, more than anyone else in the conference, so it's going to be challenging. But I think we have our confidence back and I think the girls believe in themselves now."

Although Louisville resides in the Big East and may not be familiar with a Mid-American Conference team like Ball State, coach Anne Kordes was impressed by the opposing Cardinals following the match.

"[I'm] very excited for Ball State and what they were able to do with their team this year," she said. "It's just a phenomenal job by them."

No matter the ending result, Shondell said Ball State made strides this year toward improving the overall program in the middle of a talented league in the MAC.

"The league's got most of the players returning next year, so it's going to be a powerful conference again next year," he said. "So you never take this for granted. I think the program's back to where it was many, many years ago, and that's nice."