WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Freshman, senior combo lift Cardinals to win

Carter scores 17, Grossnickle adds 14 in win over Austin Peay

After committing a career-high eight turnovers two days ago in a 55-43 loss at Butler, freshman Brittany Carter gave the ball away just once while leading Ball State with 17 points in a 59-55 victory over Austin Peay.

Carter went 5-9 from the floor, including drilling four 3-pointers.

"It's all based off our motion principles," Carter said of her prowess from beyond the arc. "And then, getting easy looks. They sag off, that's where the pull-up comes. Really it's all based off principles and our motion."

Assisting Carter with scoring on the day was senior Suzanne Grossnickle, who notched her first double-double of the season with 14 points to go along with a career-high 11 rebounds.

"I think we all feed off each other. I was just told to go in there and my job is to rebound and so I just did what my coach asked," Grossnickle said.

It was Grossnickle's biggest game this season by far, having only averaged seven minutes per game this season. She played 23 minutes Sunday afternoon.

Her highlight against Austin Peay unquestionably came in the first half at the five-minute mark. Grossnickle stepped back behind the three-point line, and let a shot go as she was being fouled. Her three went in and she drained the free-throw for a rare four-point play.

"She's got three range, in what we call a ‘trailer' position, where we reverse the ball to her in our transition," coach Kelly Packard said. "When we're filling the floor, she fills to that left-arc area."

For more Ball State women's basketball coverage, follow @Matt_D_McKinney on Twitter.