KAMERA OBSCURA: Muppets make triumphant return

Kermit and company provide another family-friendly classic

"The Muppets" is one of most fun rides you can have at the movie theater these days and a great film for the whole family. Like any good family feature, it has enough fun for kids and elements adults will enjoy.

"The Muppets" tells the story of Walter (voiced by Peter Linz), a puppet who is born into a normal family. Walter longs to fit in with everyone else, but struggles because he is a puppet. He turns to The Muppets for solace and becomes their biggest fan. Walter lives with his brother Gary (Jason Segel), who one day decides to go to Los Angeles with his girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) and Walter. While there, they tour the Muppet studios, now a run-down tourist trap. Walter breaks into Kermit the Frog's old office and overhears a plot by a businessman named Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to tear down the Muppet studios and drill for oil. The only way the studio can be saved is if the Muppets come up with $10 million. Walter runs off to reunite the Muppets and figure out a way to save their old home. Upon meeting Kermit, Walter and Kermit decide the Muppets should hold a telethon to raise the $10 million.

There aren't any real performances to note here. Segal and Adams are both predictably likeable in their roles. Honestly, the entire romantic subplot could have been cut from this movie and the story wouldn't have skipped a beat. Cooper is very good at being sinister as Richman; his musical number is also one of the funniest moments in the film. The rest of the human ensemble is filled with cameo appearances: Dave Grohl, Zach Galifianakis, Alan Arkin and more. The most noteworthy celebrity appearance belongs to Jack Black, who has an extensive role in the film and provides some funny lines during the Muppet telethon.

The real stars of the film, however, are the Muppets themselves. In an age where computers can generate any character on-screen you can think of, it's pretty incredible that a film using puppets could find funding. What's even more incredible is that these puppets have enough depth and range to actually feel like real characters on-screen. Kermit remains as endearing as ever, and his persona is encapsulated well in this story. He's still an understanding and emotional frog that struggles with being green. All our other favorite Muppets are there, too, in their full glory. Every character represents a sort of depth that would seem hard to achieve with only puppets, and yet they pull it off expertly.

Aside from the puppets, "The Muppets" offers about everything you'd expect from a family feature. There are moments that are touching, moments that are funny and a story that is appropriate for all ages. There are some pacing issues with the script. And like I said earlier, I don't think the human characters have enough depth in this story. Ironically enough, they are probably more lifeless than the Muppets in this film. The film also makes good use of the fourth wall, breaking it repeatedly for a few laughs.

Overall, I think "The Muppets" does a good job of creating a fun environment for any moviegoer. If all you need is about two hours of escapist theater, "The Muppets" will give you that. The film is a welcome return for Jim Henson's beloved creations and gives them plenty of time to shine. I think the script could have fleshed out the human characters a little more, or just have written them out of the script, but overall you will enjoy this movie. It won't make any top 10 lists, but then again, it's not trying to.

"The Muppets" receives a 7/10