Ball State celebrates veterans with day of events

Ball State students and faculty celebrated Veterans Day on Friday with the address of a Ball State alumnus and veteran on the importance of celebrating the men and women who give their lives to serve this country.

Kit Crane, now the Henry County prosecuting attorney and an Army Reserve member of the Judge Advocate General Detachment's office, said Veterans Day should serve to thank not only veterans but also their families for their support.

"Not every veteran who came home came back to the same family," he said. "It's not only the veterans that we remember and their seen and unseen sacrifices, but also their families."

Crane served in Iraq in 2004 as an officer in the United States Army. During his speech, he told a packed room on the first floor of Bracken Library it is important for civilians to give their support to veterans when they return from serving.

"Veterans are never alone, we think we are when we're out on the front, we think we are when it's 1 o'clock in the morning and you're in Bagdad, and it's lonely when you're up on a guard tower and you're wearing a body armor and it's 134 degrees," he said. "You think you are alone but you're really not, someone's got your back."

Before Crane's speech, a group of student and faculty veterans with their friends and families gathered around Schafer Bell Tower at 11:11 a.m. to listen to a carillon performance of "God Bless America," and "Taps."

A group of student veterans and members of the ROTC stood at the Scramble Light from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to participate in the Remembrance Day National Roll Call, in which students read the names of soldiers who lost their lives serving in the Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraq. The Roll Call ended at 4 p.m. with a ceremony taking place at the Scramble Light.