FIELD HOCKEY: Kuhn scores winning goal for Ball State in overtime

Cardinals earn fourth win of the season

Darting down the left side of the offensive zone, weaving her way passed multiple Kent State defenders, Devanny Kuhn powered a shot into the back of the goal. 

The other 18 players donning the Cardinal red and white rushed the field after their senior co-captain scored the game-winning goal in overtime.

"Sanne [Hermans] made a great reception and passed it to me on the outside," Kuhn said. "I used my speed to cut off the defender. I found space, looked up, found where the goalie was and ripped a shot as hard as I could."

Kuhn has a knack for stepping up her play in overtime and coach Beth Maddox had a good feeling Kuhn was going to decide the outcome.

"Dev loves overtime," Maddox said. "She loves taking the ball, going to the left and finishing [the play]. That's what she does. I knew she would shine in overtime more so than in [regulation]."

With the game knotted at 3-3, Kuhn, who was constantly troubling the Kent State defenders, said she was destined to score once overtime began.

"You just got to be confident when you get the ball and just go with it," Kuhn said. "Find where the open shot is and take it."

The Cardinals (4-12) received a tremendous amount of production from senior co-captain Gretchen Lulow and freshman Sanne Hermans.

Lulow scored the game's first goal after securing the ball in front of goalkeeper Jahna Jordan, tapping it in for a 1-0 lead. The fourth-year player added her second score of the afternoon on a penalty corner kick. Hermans received the pass, shot the ball and Lulow redirected it for the score, evening the game at 2-2.

"We had a lot of people that were drawing corners today," Lulow said. "I just happened to be in the open spot in the circle. Sanne made some really good passes. I happened to be the one that was open."

Following the game, Maddox applauded Lulow's ability to simplify the game, maintaining focus and aiding her teammates.

"She's a very skilled and smart player," Maddox said. "She executed her skills, changed the point of attack, fought hard and was very disciplined today."

Hermans engineered the Cardinals offense, while recording three assists and a shot on goal. Her greatest tool is her vision, which worked to perfection against the Golden Flashes.

"She sees the field in such a wonderful way," Maddox said. "We've lacked [good] vision before and that's part of the reason I was drawn to her."

The Cardinals, who last defeated the Golden Flashes in 2007, split the season series and notched their fourth victory in the Mid-American Conference this season. Next up is a 1 p.m. contest versus the conference-leading Ohio Bobcats this afternoon. The Bobcats are a perfect 7-0 in the MAC this season.

"We're moving in the right direction," Maddox said. "We haven't shown anybody our best yet. Hopefully that'll come when it really matters."