Annual Elliott Haunted Ball to take place Friday

Students will continue one of Ball State's oldest traditions Friday, even thought it's undergone recent changes.

The 37th Annual Elliott Haunted Ball will take place in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom 8 p.m. to midnight.

Melissa Webb, assistant hall director of Elliott Hall said the event has evolved since it began nearly four decades ago.

"Through the years, it's kind of been transitioned from a haunted house, to a dance, to a mixture of both," Webb said. "So this year we decided to do both of those things."

The legend of Elliott Hall is that in 1947, William Carl Shaumberg, committed suicide by hanging himself from the rafters of the building after his return from World War II. For this reason, many people believe that Elliott Hall is haunted.

Although Webb is unsure of exactly how the original haunted ball and tours were started, she believes the story of William has a lot to do with it.

Since last year, the location of the ball has been changed with the thought that it would become an event that is open to all students, instead of just those who reside in Elliott Hall.

Sophomore landscape architecture major Emily Parkerson is co-chair of the event, and said that the location change was due to accessibility.

"[Elliott] just isn't wheelchair accessible at all," Parkerson said.

Elliott Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus, as well as the only residence hall without an elevator.

The theme of this year's event is The Asylum, which will tell the story of patients in an asylum who are at their Halloween party, Webb said.

Students also created the script for the tour.

Although the tour will not take place inside of Elliott Hall, there will be actors around the outside of the building facilitating the theme.

An aspect that Webb emphasized was that this event is being run only by students.

"My role is just advising the committee," Webb said. "I have meetings individually with them to make sure they are following through with the bigger things."

Tickets for the ball are still available and can be purchased for $2 in advance at the front desk of any residence hall, or at the door for $3.

Admission for the haunted tour cannot be purchased in advance, but can be bought at the door of the dance. Tickets are either $1 or one non-perishable food item.

If ticket sales exceed $500, the rest of the money will be donated to Muncie Mission Ministries along with the food items.

"The money goes back to a good cause, but it also gives us seed money for next year's event," Webb said.