WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Grant adding new dimension to Ball State

Transfer has overcome an early-season injury to contribute more in recent weeks

Whether it's her great length, special blocking skills or ability to hit on the right side, Cincinnati transfer Lauren Grant stands out from the rest of Ball State women's volleyball team.

Since Grant joined Ball State this year, coach Steve Shondell has raved about the wide range of talents the sophomore right-side hitter brings to his team.

Unfortunately, Grant's Ball State debut was delayed after she suffered an abdominal injury before the team's Red and White scrimmage in late August.

After fully recovering, Grant has gradually worked her way into Ball State's rotation at the beginning of September, contributing as a spark off the bench.

Her strong play has quickly caught Shondell's attention.

"She's just now getting back into her early season form. She just gives us a different dimension with her size and blocking ability and her ability to attack on the right side. She's really given us an added dimension off the bench."

With 27 kills and 12 total blocks in 11 matches played, Grant's role with the Cardinals on the court is still developing.

But Grant's potential can't be ignored. Whether she occasionally provides a powerful block or strong kill on the right side of the court, Grant flashes the abilities to be one of Ball State's best players in the near future.

In the mean time, she is becoming more comfortable as one of the team's best role players in her sophomore season.

"It's hard at first always coming into a new team, but I think as the season goes on, I'll feel more and more comfortable," Grant said. "I think it's been a time coming. It's been a little shaky, but I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things."

Grant's improvement comes at the perfect time as Ball State heads into a tough stretch of MAC opponents with matches against Northern Illinois (12-4) on Friday and Western Michigan (12-3) on Saturday.

With four starts already this season, there's a chance Grant could make an even bigger impact than usual if she's on the court for the first serve of the match.

No matter what role Grant has going forward, Shondell is sure that she'll produce in it.

"You can count on her as a starter or a player of the bench. She's capable of doing either one," he said. "She's such a team player that she's going to do whatever you ask her to do with a smile on her face."