Tree falls on Muncie home because of storm

Heavy winds caused a large tree to crash down onto a residence on the corner of Riverside Avenue and Briar Road around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.

The owner of the home, Ryan Roberts, said that he and his young son were inside the home when they heard a loud crash and ran outside to see what had happened.

Although Roberts did not contact the police or fire departments, he said that they arrived soon after the incident happened.

The tree damaged the front of Roberts's home, breaking windows as well as damaging the home's front porch. There were no injuries.

Roberts says he thinks the heavy winds were the main cause of the damage.

"I don't think there was lightening at the time, at least not what I was seeing," Roberts said. "The tree needed to come down anyway."

He also said that he would have the tree removed from the home in the morning.

Roberts's neighbors, Victor and Doris Lawhead, were at home when the incident occurred.They went outside to see what had happened after hearing the siren of the fire engine approaching the home.

"It was really blowing outside my kitchen window," said Doris Lawhead. "Then I heard the fire engine, and it was close."

The Lawhead have lived in the neighborhood for the last 25 years.  

Victor Lawhead said that falling limbs happen quite frequently in the neighborhood due to the amount of trees in the area.

"We feel like we're pretty safe out here from straight line winds, but it looks like we're not." Victor Lawhead said.