TRACK AND FIELD: Cardinals open outdoor season at Indiana Wesleyan

Injuries and sickness affecting key members of Ball State

Ball State Track and Field starts its outdoor season at 10 a.m. Saturday at Indiana Wesleyan University. The team will be competing in the Polar Bear Invitational, a non-scored meet.

Although Ball State has only been practicing outside for two weeks, coach Randy Heisler is excited to see where the athletes stand after a few weeks of not competing.

Weather is also an issue this time of year. It was a deciding factor when the team switched meets a few years back.

"It started when I first came here. There had been a meet we had gone to up in Toledo on the same weekend, and three of the first three years that I was here, it snowed to the point of the meet being canceled or being delayed," Heisler said. "They had to shovel the snow off the track so we could run." 

"This meet is 30 minutes away on a very very nice facility is a really good tune up training meet for us."

Injuries and sickness still plague the team from the indoor season.

Megan Cherry is still dealing with a back issue and Kelsey Nelson is having problems with her leg. Thekla Lorenz and RaJae Marable are both sick and took a few days off from training this week.

"(Thekla) has been sick on and off since our indoor conference meet," Heisler said. 

The entire Ball State team will be running in almost every event offered this weekend. Some runners will be running in events that they do not normally run in order to train and gain experience.

Jorden Traver will be competing in four field events, according to Heisler

"The throwers have been training really well for the last couple of weeks," Heisler said.