MEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING: Ball State prepare for MAC Championships

Cardinals head to Southern Illinois for three day event

The 2010-2011 men's swimming and diving Mid-American Conference Championships will be held March 3-5 at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Ill.

Here's a snapshot of each of the seven teams competing.

Ball State

Record: 1-5 (1-2 MAC)

Top-20 times in the MAC: 20

Top-ranked swimmers: The Cardinals have been paced all season by juniors Chris Krupa, Gavin McNeeley, sophomore Michael Weber and senior Mark Golden.

Krupa is versatile and ranks in the top 20 in the MAC in four different events. Krupa is 15th in the 200 backstroke, 12th in the 100 butterfly, 10th in the 200 butterfly, and 12th in the 200 individual medley.

McNeeley is a breaststroke specialist, ranking eighth in the 100 breaststroke and 13th in the 200. His eighth-place ranking is the highest for a Cardinal individual.

Weber is an excellent athlete and another versatile swimmer. He ranks 17th in the 100 backstroke and 19th in the 200, and will likely be part of multiple relays.

Golden holds down the distance events for the Cardinals, ranking 18th in the 1000 freestyle and 12th in the 1650.

Eastern Michigan

Record: 4-4 (3-0)

Top-20 times: 80

Top-ranked swimmers: The Eagles are gunning for their fifth-straight MAC championship, and are the deepest team in the field. EMU has a swimmer ranked first in nine individual events, led by sophomore Jacob Hanson. Hanson ranks first in the 100 and 200 backstroke, and the 200 and 400 individual medley.

Buffalo

Record: 6-2 (1-1)

Top-20 times: 63

Top-ranked swimmers: Buffalo's top two swimmers are freshmen. Matt Hogan tops the conference in the 200 freestyle, and Eric Culver ranks first in the 1000 freestyle.

Missouri State

Record: 5-3 (1-1)

Top-20 times: 62

Top-ranked swimmers: The Bears boast the fastest man in the MAC in senior Dillon Burns. Burns owns the fast 50 freestyle time in the conference with a blistering 20.51. Missouri State is also the 15th-ranked mid-major team in the nation, according to collegeswimming.com.

Miami (OH)

Record: 4-5-1 (1-2)

Top-20 times: 57

Top-ranked swimmers: The top diver in the MAC wears RedHawks' colors. Junior James Beres has the top score in both the one-meter and three-meter events, and has qualified for the NCAA Zone Diving Championships in each event.

Southern Illinois

Record: N/A

Top-20 times: 20

Top-ranked swimmers: Freshman Csaba Gercsak is the Salukis' highest-ranked swimmer as he holds the second-fastest 1000 freestyle time. The Salukis are ranked 10th in the collegeswimming.com mid-major poll.

Evansville

Record: 1-7 (0-3)

Top-20 times: 11

Top-ranked swimmers: Sophomores Alex Seward and Kyle Tiemann rank 17th and 18th, respectively, in the 100 freestyle. It is the only swimming event in which the Purple Aces have multiple swimmers ranked in the top 20.