Ball State to help students with business attire

Ball State students can donate their unwanted or gently used business attire to Cardinal Closet so eligible students can shop for the used clothing.

Donations accepted include pants, suits, jackets, dress shirts, blouses, skirts and ties. Shoes are not being accepted.

The clothing drive started last month and will last until April 5. Donation can be dropped off at The Office of Housing and Residence Life, the Office of Student Life or the Career Center.

This is the first year for the event, which the Division of Student Affairs set up as a way to help students in need of assistance.

The event was an idea that Kay Bales, vice president for Student Affairs, threw out to a few co-workers.

Ro-Anne Royer Engle, assistant director of Housing and Residence Life, said she took the task as Cardinal Closet coordinator because she works with students daily who are struggling to pay bills.

"Even families that were once comfortable are being touched by the effects of the bad economy and the Division of Student Affairs wants to help impact the community in a positive way," she said.

Students who need business attire must register online in advance so Cardinal Closet will have enough staff on hand to help shoppers find the right outfit.

Faculty and staff are also encouraged to refer students they know who may be in need.

Cardinal Closet will be open by appointment only on March 29, April 6 and April 14 in in their "closet," which will be a room below Mysch/Hurst Hall in Lafollette Complex.