7 Ball State students selected as Indy 500 princesses

Seven Ball State students were selected to serve as 500 Festival Princesses, making Ball State the most represented university in the program along with Purdue.

Sophomore nursing major Fayeann Hurley said she's been waiting her turn to become a 500 Festival Princess ever since her sister's friend won the opportunity.

"I had always been wanting to do it and I was just waiting until I got old enough," she said.

The applicants must be between 19 and 23 years old, according to the 500 Festival website.

"I'm actually one of the youngest ones," said Hurley, 19.

The young women went through two interviews. The first interview narrowed the applicants down from 278 to 66 and the number of contestants went from 66 to the final 33 after a second interview.

"I was with my mom and dad at the time when I got the e-mail," Hurley said. "I almost couldn't believe it, like, ‘is this happening?'"

All princesses are required to attend certain 500 Festival events as well as organize at least two outreach programs in their community.

Senior telecommunications major Savannah Teegarden said she is eager to volunteer and do community service.

"We get out there, we go to schools, nursing homes, you name it, we're there and we essentially promote [the event]," she said.

Being a 500 Festival Princess is more than just an opportunity to attend events and experience opportunities most others wouldn't, such as riding a lap in the pace cars on the track, senior elementary education Laken Kurtz said.

Kurtz said she is looking forward to being a role model to young girls.

"I coach volleyball here in Muncie so I'm with young girls a lot, and I also substitute teach, so just being able to be a role model to those girls who don't have someone to look up to is a great opportunity," she said.

Although the princesses are only required to organize two outreach programs, many are exceeding that requirement.

"That's the nice thing about this group," Kurtz said. "They're all amazing, dedicated and passionate women that all want to be involved in as many things as they can."

The Ball State princesses went out to dinner Friday and had the opportunity to meet each other. They have also been in communication through Facebook.

"Anything we set up we always invite each other too because we want each other to be as involved as possible," Kurtz said. "It's a great opportunity for the community to come together and volunteer together to let the world know that we are a great state."

Indy 500 princesses from Ball State

Ashlyn Ackerman, architecture major

Erin Drew, nursing major

Katie Hargitt, telecommunications major

Fayeann Hurley, nursing major

Laken Kurts, elementary education major

Tarah Miller, psychological science and interpersonal relations major

Savannah Teegarden, telecommunications major