Study: College students do not get the carbon cycle

Do you know the carbon cycle? According to a recent study, probably not.

Research published in the January issue of BioScience said the majority of college students do not understand the basic understanding of the carbon cycle.

The carbon cycle, which is the organic circulation of carbon from the atmosphere into organisms and back again, is an essential aspect in understanding the causes and effects of climate change and something each college student should grasp, Jonathan Schramm, author and postdoctoral research associate, said.

"The biggest thing is that they are not learning a lot of details as they go through their college classes, but the struggle is [to] remember the context of the details," he said. "If you look at the way we teach the typical college class, there is a lot [of information] instructors need to get in, and being an instructor myself, people can easily lose track of the important details."

The research, compiled by authors from Michigan State and the University of Colorado Denver, found that while students may know the term, they couldn't apply the ideas.

Ryan Sager, a member of Ball State Students for a Sustainable Campus, said while the carbon cycle is an important factor to understand when trying to battle climate change, action is more important.

"They are talking about the wrong issues, they need to focus on the energy saving tips and local practices," he said. "Students are not interested in the science behind it, but they would rather relate to the immediate and direct effects."

Marketing professor John Vann said he would not be surprised if even the average person does not fully understand the carbon cycle.

"My last biology class was in the ninth grade, and of course I don't remember all the stages," he said. "But in class we talk about the different stages, and I explain to the students there is carbon in the coal and the structure of plants. Then from there you explain the process without getting too complicated."

The researchers surveyed more than 500 students from 13 universities. Schramm said Ball State was not included in the survey.

Students correctly applied scientific principles and rules, however, from there they were lost. What the students missed most were questions requiring application of those principles such as the transfer of matter after it leaves the body.

The goal of the project was to learn about student reasoning related to the carbon cycle process and provide faculty with tools for instruction and they are confident they gained that understanding.

Vann said everyone has to understand the carbon cycle to understand the current threat of climate change.

"When we take fossil fuels out of the ground, it is taking the carbon out of the plant or crust and you are creating carbon dioxide. That is the main idea of understanding climate change," he said.

No matter what the study found, many universities such as Ball State require students to take six credit hours of science classes.  In classes such as introduction to sustainability professors like Vann teach the same principles discussed in the carbon cycle.

To learn more about the carbon cycle, visit http://epa.gov/climatechange/kids/carbon_cycle_version2.html.

Sample Questions

1. Which of the following are energy sources for plants? Choose ALL correct answers.

(A) nutrients

(B) sunlight

(C) water

(D) carbon dioxide

2. When a plant absorbs CO2 and releases O2 during photosynthesis:

(A) The process increases the mass of the plant.

(B) The process decreases the mass of the plant.

(C) The process does not affect the mass of the plant.

3. When an animal breathes in O2 and breathes out CO2:

(A) The process increases the mass of the animal.

(B) The process decreases the mass of the animal.

(C) The process does not affect the mass of the animal

4. You eat a grape. How could a glucose molecule from the grape provide energy to move your little finger?

(A) The glucose is digested into simpler molecules having more energy.

(B) The glucose reacts to become ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

(C) The glucose is converted into energy.

(D) The energy of the glucose is transferred to other molecules.

(E) The energy of the glucose is transferred to CO2 and H2O.

Answers

1. B

2. A

3. B

4. D