Slippery streets cause falls, accidents

Sid Ullrich's two morning classes were canceled when the university delayed opening until 11 a.m. on Wednesday.

But it was just as hazardous for him in the afternoon - when he slipped and broke his arm walking to a 3 p.m. class. He wishes that one had been canceled, too.

"I was basically told if I didn't show up to class my option was to fail the class for the semester and stay at Ball State another year, or go to class because it wasn't canceled," the junior theatre production major said. "So I had to put my body on the line and I paid for it. I was very upset with that."

On Facebook, students created a group called "2011 Snowpocalypse Petition for Sensibility at Ball State University."

The page criticized the school's ice-clearing efforts along with the decision to hold classes.

"Ball State University fails to care for their students," a note on the page said. "Roads have not been treated, ice has accumulated up to an inch in areas, and safety is at the least of concern for Ball State. … To all students who felt they were at risk going to class today, join the group and share your opinions."

Ullrich wasn't the only person to take a spill. Lori Cox, a 911 supervisor for Delaware County, said she took two emergency phone calls about other students who fell on campus.

A student was walking near Pruis Hall at 10:50 a.m. when she fell and hit her head on the stairs. She chose not to receive hospital treatment. Another female student fell at Scheidler Apartments and was taken to Ball Memorial Hospital with a possible broken wrist.

The Muncie Police Department, meanwhile, responded to 18 falls and five accidents after 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Wednesday, a dispatcher said.

Three of those accidents were on the north side of campus near Oakwood Street and McGalliard Road.

Ullrich came to class still bleeding and in pain. He went to the Health Center after talking with his professor.

"I got there and got checked out. They said they were sure I have a broken wrist, but due to weather issues the orthopedic centers in the city were closed."

Dr. Kent Bullis, Ball State medical director, said a steady stream of students started arriving by late morning.

"It was dead at first. We saw one patient until 11 a.m. Then after 11 a.m., 16 people walked in," Bullis said. "We had three or four people with spills, banged up elbows and ankles."

Ullrich said the emergency room was not an option for him because of his insurance, and he would not be able to get a cast.

Ullrich, angry about the decision not to cancel classes, painfully typed an e-mail — with one hand — to President Jo Ann Gora.

"I'm mostly disappointed with Ball State and the emergency medical facilities in the area. They [the closed orthopedic centers] have the intelligence to realize the employees can't travel, but Ball State obviously doesn't agree with that."