Ind. House OKs bill to change alcohol ID policy

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana House approved a bill Thursday to revise a much-ridiculed state law requiring everyone buying alcohol to show identification regardless of their age.

The House voted 91-7 for the bill, which would no longer require store clerks to card customers who appear older than 40.

The bill will revise a law that took effect last summer, requiring clerks to card everyone attempting to purchase alcohol. Lawmakers said they heard plenty of complaints — in e-mails, letters and in-person rants — from senior citizens and others who said the law made no sense.

Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, said bluntly: "It was stupid."

While nearly all lawmakers agreed it was silly to ask seniors for proof of age, some who voted against the bill Thursday said the law had produced results. Some liquor store owners reported that the law led to a drastic drop in minors' attempts to buy alcohol because they knew they would be asked for identification.

Rep. Ed Delaney, D-Indianapolis, said the change has helped some stores in the neighborhoods he represents by making the policy the same for all clerks in all stores.

"The discretion is gone," he said.

Bill sponsor Rep. Greg Steuerwald, R-Danville, said stores that wanted to continue carding everyone can do so, although others worry stores could lose business by sticking with the policy when others relaxed their identification requirements.

Steuerwald said the bill simply adds some "common sense" to store procedures.

The bill now moves to the Senate for consideration.