News Year's resolutions bring students into the gym

Many students make New Years resolutions to get back into the gym and get into shape each year, but the test is how long people will keep up the hard work.

Junior life science education major Kristin Smith and junior music education major Dani Fegett said they are up for the challenge and plan to work out every day for the rest of the semester.

With the New Year, many students find it a time to start out fresh, and the two women have the same game plan—— losing 30 pounds.

According to an article by the American Psychological Association, exercising regularly and losing weight are on the list of top New Year's resolutions.

The resolution is no exception for Ball State students.

Dexter Hinkley, senior criminal justice major and fitness room monitor at Student Recreation and Wellness Center, said attendance more than doubled during popular hours at the beginning of the new year.

"It has been a huge difference," he said. "We had over 200 the first three or four days after [Winter Break]."

Jason Adamowicz, associate director of the Rec Center, said there has been an increase in attendance.

"Traditionally with the new building and everything, there is a 6 to 7 percent increase from the spring to fall semester," he said. "When you talk about the thousands that come into this place, 6 to 7 percent is a large amount."

Adamowicz said the increase in people happens from about 3 to 10 p.m. and New Year's resolution students typically begin to fade out of the gym around Spring Break.

There are three main reasons why people go to the Recreation Center, and only one of them is the recommitment to becoming fit as New Year's resolutions, Adamowicz said.

He said students tend to work out more until Spring Break because of bathing suit weather and many students who do outdoor sports come indoors due to the cold weather.

Not all students who regularly use the gym are happy about the increase.

Ethan Sweat, a sophomore telecommunications major, said he is tired of waiting on equipment.

"It sucks when I want to lift and I have to wait for 45 minutes," he said.

On the other hand, some students welcome the new fitness fanatics with open arms.

Freshman dietetics major Sara Mathes said she has been working out at the Rec Center all year, but she enjoys seeing more new faces around the gym.

"It is a college campus, and most of the people want to work out," she said. "I like it because I see a lot of familiar faces like people from classes."

Senior psychology major Bethany Cooper and sophomore elementary education major Laura Greaves said it is hard to get into the swing of consistently working out, and they couldn't have done it without each other.

"[Those going to the gym for the first time], get a partner," Greaves said.

"We've gone consistently because we've come together," Cooper said.

People interested in exploring the Rec Center can go there for a free orientation or to find out more information visit recreation.iweb.bsu.edu.

MARG:

Tips for students to keep their "stay fit" New Year's resolutions from Ball State faculty and students:

Don't choose a very difficult workout if you have been inactive for some time. Not only can people quickly get discouraged, but they can pull muscles by doing too much too fast.

Choose an activity you enjoy. The Rec Center offers a wide amount of activities, from sports and swimming to rock climbing.

Choose a somewhat constant schedule. By going to the gym at the same time every day, you are more likely to stick to it.

If you don't like crowds, come early or come late. Around this time of year, the Rec Center is predominantly busy between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Don't skip one time because you aren't feeling it that day because it makes it that much harder to get back to it.

Come up with a weekly plan that can help you achieve your New Year's goals. Start your plan on Monday and recommit each week. If you fall off, try again the following Monday.