MEN'S BASKETBALL: Jones reaches 1,000 point milestone

Forward becomes 25th Cardinal to score 1,000 points

It's only fitting the pass Jarrod Jones received before he hit the 1,000 point-mark was from his long-time friend and teammate, Randy Davis, someone he's been playing with years before they came to Ball State.

Three and a half minutes into Saturday's matchup against Ohio Jones took the pass from the baseline by Davis and laid it up and in – making him the 25th player in Ball State history to reach 1,000 points in a career.

"It's fantastic for Jarrod. We're all extremely proud of him," coach Billy Taylor said. "It's a special accomplishment. Not everybody that plays the game gets a chance to score 1,000 points. It puts [Jarrod] in a very rare category."

Taylor said Jones will be able to look back at the end of his career and be proud of what he's accomplished.

Jones, who's a junior and has scored a total of 1,020 points in his college career so far, passed George Bradley who scored 1,010 in his career. Bradley played at Ball State from 1978-81.

Jones joins the likes of Bonzi Wells, Ray McCallum and Larry Bullington in scoring along with many other Ball State greats.

Jones led all scorers with 21 points and 6 rebounds in the 61-60 loss to Ohio (10-11, 3-4 MAC).

Jones said that even though he's happy with what he's accomplished so far, he's not done yet.

"It's a good bench mark to hit," he said. "It's something that doesn't stop here – just keeps going."

In Saturday's game, Jones' seven rebounds tied him for 10th all-time in Ball State history with Dan Palombizio at 620. Jones needs one rebound to pass Palombizio and have sole possession of 10th all-time.

Jones has eight double-doubles on the year and has scored a career-high 25 points twice this season. He also has been named MAC West Division Player of the Week twice.

His first 25-point performance was against North Carolina A&T where he hit a career-high 11-for-14 from the charity stripe.

Jones' second 25-point game was against Northern Illinois while pulling down 12 boards.

Taylor said he couldn't be happier for what Jones has accomplished while at Ball State (13-7, 5-2 MAC). He said it's unfortunate for Jones to break 1,000 points in a losing effort.

"I'm really proud of him and I know his teammates are proud of him," he said. "I just wish it could have come at a win so we could have more time to celebrate his accomplishment."