Fire partially destroys business in downtown Muncie

Firefighters worked for about an hour to put off a fire that partially destroyed a business building in downtown Muncie.

Muncie Fire Department arrived at North American Muffler on 1010 S. Walnut St. a few minutes after a 2:56 p.m. call. Ninteen firefighters worked on the fire using an aerial truck, three pumper trucks and a rescue truck. Police blocked Walnut Steet on the intersections with Second and Fifth, as well as the intersections on Jefferson and Willard streets, and High and Willard streets.

Battalion Chief Mark Adams said because the roof collapsed, he's not sure whether it will ever be determined what caused the fire.

The fire originated on the west side of the building. Adams said it was possible the roof on the west side of the building was smoldering for some time before workers at the business noticed anything.

"There was a part on the roof that had a leak, so they decided to build on top of the old roof," he said. "It is possible the fire got between the two roofs, and that's why they couldn't detect it."

Daniel York, the owner of the business, said he was working at time the fire started.

"We thought we could smell smoke," he said. "We looked around but we couldn't see anything."

York said when they saw the smoke they tried to stop it but were unable to do so. All 10 people in the building, including customers and employees, made it out with no injuries.

Ann Barber, co-owner of Mid-City Café, which is just down the street from North American Muffler, said she and some people in the restaurant could smell the smoke as well but couldn't see anything.

"We searched and went outside, but we couldn't see anything," she said. "And then all of a sudden we saw all this smoke and flames. I was amazed at how it happened, it went from zero smoke to having smoke all over the place."

The west side of the building was completely lost. The east side receiving minor water and smoke damage, Adams said.

All streets were open at about 5:30 p.m., with the exception of the east lane on Walnut Street, for prevention in case the front wall facing Walnut Street collapsed.