Ball State class honored with national award

A philosophy journal created by Ball State philosophy students through an immersive learning class last semester received the Prize for Excellence and Innovation in Philosophy Programs from the American Philosophical Association and Philosophy Documentation Center.

The journal, called "Stance: An International Undergraduate Philosophy Journal," includes papers written by undergraduate philosophy students from around the world.

The class is taught by Ball State philosophy professor David Concepcion and is intended to teach students how to improve their writing skills. It's something Concepcion said came from the hundreds of papers that were read by the classes' students when considering them for inclusion in "Stance."

"I'm actually proud of Ball State for deciding to do this because it gave us the opportunity to do something that's great for Ball State students," he said. "They are learning a ton more about how to write well because they have to learn it in a way that they have to teach it to other people rather than just trying to do it themselves."

The students partake in the teaching aspect of the journal's creation when they provide constructive criticism to the journals they reject, which is a category that about 90 percent of the journals received for consideration fall under.

Concepcion, who was also the journal's managing editor but had no editorial power, said as of two years ago it was the only undergraduate philosophy journal included in The Philosopher's Index, an electronic philosophy resource he says only publishes quality material.

Chris Hoover, a senior double major in philosophy and religious studies and the last editor-in-chief of "Stance," said helping create something that has gotten so much recognition is great.

"I think it's awesome to know that we as undergraduates at an average-sized Midwest school with a rather small philosophy department can produce something like this," he said.

Hoover said while at an annual undergraduate philosophy conference at Ohio State University, students who had submitted papers to the journal recognized who he was, which he said was a cool feeling.

"They were coming up and saying, ‘Hey you're from Ball State, we know who you are,'" he said.

The class started using external reviewers to help review submissions, something Hoover said helps Ball State's journal better mirror a professional journal and get extra eyes on submissions.

The journal, which is now in its 4th volume, has received material for consideration from a number of countries, including Slovakia, Slovenia, Australia, Iran, Scotland, the United Kingdom and many others.