SGA uses Facebook to get Fruesday opinions

Student Government Association has set up a Facebook group for students to vote on their opinions about Fruesday.

The results will be debated today during the SGA meeting. SGA will then take their opinion to Campus Council on Thursday in hopes of making a calendar change.

The issue of Fruesday has been a two-year challenge. At last week's SGA meeting, different alternatives were presented to Campus Council.

Madison Wilder, SGA on-campus secretary, said she created the group to give students a chance to speak.

"We've had an amazing amount of students vote," Wilder said. "I think it helps because all it is a one-letter answer."

Kayla Pickersgill, SGA president pro tempore, said SGA is hoping to get a full taste of what students really want.

"Well, the role of SGA is to be the student voice," Pickersgill said. "[Wilder] did the Facebook group to get student opinion, and it proved to be awesome."

Four of the options discussed at last week's meeting are explained thoroughly on the website for the students to vote on, labeled A through D. So far, more than 700 people have voted on the Facebook event page.

Wilder said more than approximately 75 percent of the students have voted for option B. Choice B is the option of students beginning the fall semester on an earlier date, such as Wednesday or Thursday. With this option, students would still have no classes on Labor Day or Fall Break, but they would also have an entire week off for Thanksgiving.

Other options to get rid of Fruesday include attending classes on Labor Day, a create-your-own-calendar revision and to keep the academic calendar the same.

The Facebook event also gave students the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Sophomore elementary education student Jessie Ness said she doesn't understand why Fruesday is an issue at all.

"Why don't we consider [universities] such as IU: begin classes a week later than us in August, attend Labor Day, have no Fall Break and attend two days at Thanksgiving?" Ness said. "There aren't state requirements for a certain amount of days we have to attend, so I don't see why we are holding ourselves to high standards."

Matthew Whitlock, SGA president, said he is extremely pleased with the results thus far.

"Students aren't just saying we want to get out of school," Whitlock said. "Most of them are even saying let's come to school earlier."

Wilder will be tallying votes until 3 p.m. today. While the Facebook event will still be open after that, opinions and votes will not be taken after 3 p.m.

The Facebook event can be found by searching "University Calendar Changes!!".