Safety over break not an issue at Ball State

While some Ball State students went to their hometowns for Thanksgiving break, most of their Muncie homes were safe and sound.

There didn't appear to be any burglaries on or around campus, Bob Fey, associate director of Public Safety, said.

"We were very fortunate. We had very little activity," he said. "I think a couple of bikes were stolen, but we didn't see any increase in activity whatsoever. In fact, if anything, it slowed."

"Sometimes there's an increase of break-ins over holiday breaks, and other times there's a decrease," Fey said. "It's hard to predict. We don't have a crystal ball."

Fey said it doesn't matter if students are in Muncie or home for break, they should always be alert.

"When people are away, whether they're at class or away for break, those are the times when an offender is most likely to attempt that break-in as opposed to when they know someone is at home," he said.

Fey said everyone should always keeps their doors locked when they're away from residence.

"We know this is a difficult time in the financial sense for some, and then moving into the holidays can make it even more difficult for people," he said. "Occasionally, as a result of those hard times, we see an increase in property crimes. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but those can be factors."

Not all college students were as lucky as Ball State students.

Burglars hit numerous houses and apartments near the Indiana University campus in Bloomington over the Thanksgiving holiday, taking off with more than 20 flat-screen televisions and other items.

Bloomington Police Department reported that thieves took six televisions from one house. Other stolen items included two guitars, seven gaming consoles and jewelry boxes.

IU student Hank Powell told Herald Times that he found his house broken into when he returned from Indianapolis on Saturday. He says he and his roommates had talked about the burglary possibilities and had agreed to make sure the doors were locked.

Bloomington police Lt. David Drake said since so many college students leave for holidays, locking doors and windows doesn't always protect them.