Indiana teachers meet to discuss education improvements

Professors from all over Indiana came together for the Indiana School Transformation Conference hosted by Ball State's Teachers College.

Douglas Reeves, Harvard professor and founder of the Leadership and Learning Center, spoke at the Alumni Center on the latest research insights and practices for sustainable improvements in the nation's schools, exploring the practices and case studies that lead underperforming schools to high level of success.

"Behavior exceeds belief," Reeves said. "It is practices, not program."

He included an interactive three-hour session addressing the latest in successful research, design and implementation practices.

President Jo Ann Gora, Provost Terry King and principals and teachers from Indiana gathered for the conference.

"This conference and your attendance today is a key example for continuing commitment of being a leader of education," King said.

Reeves pointed out that educators should focus on the big six: feedback, teacher's efficacy, time, nonfiction writing, formative assessment and expectations. Feedback is related to satisfaction and motivation, he said.

There are 23,400 dropouts in Indiana, Reeves said, costing $15 billion.

"They save money when you are successful," he said. "Think not the money you spent, think the money you save on education investment."

Reeves talked about the ‘implementation gap," the differences among teachers when conducting a lesson plan, which he points out is more serious than differences in technique, finance or language.

The update also included information on the relative impact of socioeconomic status, teaching and educational leadership.

"Content knowledge [is] so extremely important, and alone it does not make for a good teacher. Many other skills are required," said John Jacobson, dean of the Teachers College and professor of elementary education.

More than 300 people attended the conference.