Fruesday becoming a bigger headache

The latest proposal for Ball State's Fall Break is a four-day holiday for Thanksgiving.

But with students being asked to come to school only one day that week, will the university turn a blind eye to empty classrooms?

Faculty Council discussed the latest model for a Fruesday fix among other agenda items at its meeting Thursday.

Math professor Ralph Bremigan said one day off really isn't enough.

"All you can do is show up at the office and catch up," he said.

He remembers when classes used to have Thursday and Friday off. It was enough time to go to Chicago or take a short family trip.

Amy Leahy, who leads the Academic Calendar Committee, said Provost Terry King's main concerns are keeping a five-day Finals Week and maintaining the number of days in the Fall Semester. The committee recently proposed a compromise with Fall Break consisting of the Tuesday during Thanksgiving Week.

"The real holdup seems to be eliminating an instructional day," Leahy said. "The provost seemed to feel this would go through."

Some people wondered why Ball State would bother having a one-day Fall Break.

Ann Wieseke, Faculty Council secretary, said the day used to be for professional development and for students to help their families with harvest.

"It's an Indiana tradition, and Indiana tends to super glue to traditions," she said.

The discussion of a Fruesday solution began about a year ago, and it doesn't look like it will end any time soon. The Senate also has issues that include retirement funding and filling committees to consider.

Terry Zivney, chairman of the Salary and Benefits Committee, said he presented a retirement model to King for consideration, but he doesn't know when to expect a response from the provost.

The council also discussed adding more professional personnel representation on councils and committees under the University Council Standing Committees. Parliamentarian David Pearson said issues such as this require a lengthy process in order to bring change. It has to be put on a ballot that's passed by the entire University Senate.

"This is in fact a constitutional matter," Pearson said. "We will have to do the voting process."