Greek life at Purdue makes changes; Ball State sticking to plan

Ball State students worried that a recent alcohol moratorium at Purdue greek events could come to Muncie have nothing to fear.

Brandon Cutler, Ball State assistant director of Student Life, said Purdue students and administration are doing what they feel is best for their university right now.

Greek life at Purdue made a change this week to eliminate alcohol comsuptions because of drinking-related incidents, including irresponsible alcohol use and rule breaking.

Cutler said their decision isn't relevant to greek life at Ball State.

"The Purdue policy is not going to impact directly how we do things here at Ball State," Cutler said. "That's their policy and they have their own reasons for doing that over there."

Purdue's ban on drinking is a temporary measure that will be lifted at noon Friday. New policies put in place during the moratorium were expected to make greek events safer for Purdue students.

Austin Gerber, president of the Interfraternity Council, said greek life at Ball State plans ahead, making sure everyone understand the risks and consequences of drinking.

"IFC takes a productive approach because we send out an evaluation team and they have an event registered with alcohol and we document any issue that may fall outside the policy," Gerber said. "We want to keep the members safe and it has been effective."

Ball State does a variety of things to prevent alcohol-related problems.

"We provide education to help students understand some of the risks and things they need to watch out for when drinking," Cutler said.

Another way greek life addresses drinking problems is the Training for Intervention Procedures. TIPS is a training seminar that teaches greek members how to deal with alcohol related incidences. There are TIPS-trained monitors at every greek event, and greek presidents are required to undergo TIPs training. More than 1,200 college campuses use the university version of the TIPS program.

Paul Desmond, vice president of public relations for IFC, said greek members at Ball State know their limits and aware of possible liabilities to their chapter and Ball State if they act irresponsibly.

"When we do events, they are almost always dry events because we don't want to have that problem," he said. "But, the events that do have alcohol, Ball State has been lucky because we have students who know how to handle things."

Ball State is confident in its alcohol policies and isn't considering any changes, Cutler said.