FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State happy with results, still has work to do

Last weekend, the Ball State field hockey team walked away with two home wins after beating Robert Morris on Friday and St. Louis on Sunday.

"We had two shutouts, which felt good," junior midfielder Gretchen Lulow said.

Maddox and the team are focusing on maintaining, progressing and working as a team for their upcoming games. After taking this weekend off, Ball State (3-1) plays Northwestern and Iowa next weekend. Maddox is focusing on defense this week, both individually and as a team.

"I think the next games are going to be a challenge," Lulow said. "These are tough teams with dominating records. This will definitely force us to pull together and play at a higher level."

Though the team walked away with two victories, there are still things they need to work on.

"I think we didn't play at our level during parts of the game," junior midfielder Brandi Mixell said. "When we had breakdowns, it was difficult for us to pick up and focus quickly."

This is Mixell's first year in the program after transferring from Frostburg State. She said the Cardinals played well offensively in their victories.

"I think we did a good job making good passes and possessing the ball last weekend," she said. "We scored a lot and worked the field as well."

Maddox said she wants to see the team improve and progress.

"We need to continue to work on our team defense," she said. "But it is a process and I'm sure we will continue to improve. Our strengths this weekend were our fight in the circle. We did our best to get tons of shots and that resulted in a couple of goals for us."