TRACK: Ball State to compete at Miami Invitational

Cardinals look to do well in first scored meet of outdoor season

The Ball State University women's track and field teams did not have a whole lot to show for itself after last weekend's meet on the Purdue University campus.

Inclement weather kept Ball State from competing in many events at the Mike Poehlein Invitational at Purdue last weekend. This week, the team has trained in contrasting climates. Regardless of what Mother Nature has on its agenda this weekend, coach Randy Heisler said he is excited to make the trip to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

The 25th annual Miami Invitational will field 18 teams and will be the first scored meet of the outdoor season for Ball State.

"I'm really looking forward to going over there," Heisler said. "This year, I think it'd be good for our team to go in there and do very well."

Heisler said he hopes to see good performances that are not affected by unfavorable weather. He said junior Thekla Lorenz came out and threw the shot very well at Purdue, even though the weather was atrocious. He also said that senior sprinter Katie Johnson looked a little hesitant in her first outdoor meet but that was expected.

For redshirt freshman thrower Elizabeth Flinner, the competition and weather ahead should be no matter. She said she and the rest of the team should be prepared for this weekend's meet.

"It's been a good week [at practice], getting our throws in and being in the weight room," Flinner said. "I think we're all ready to compete."

The latest forecast from the National Weather Service calls for partly sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-50s today and sunny skies with highs in the upper 60s for Saturday afternoon.

The first event begins at 3:30 p.m. with the hammer throw. It is the lone event of the day, and the meet will resume at 11 a.m. Saturday with the discus throw.