SGA has one more cabinet position to fill

Student Connection is still working out the kinks as the slate enters its second week in office.

Student Government Association welcomed three new senate members in Jillian Irving, Sean Burgman and Melissa Loeffler.

SGA also took nominations for president pro tempore. Nominees are Nicole Akey and Kayla Pickersgill. SGA senators will vote on the nominees Wednesday. Pro tempore is the last seat to be filled in Student Connection's cabinet.

SGA President Matt Whitlock said he believes the senate is well ahead of schedule despite all the housekeeping protocol taking place during assembly.

"Everyone has their assignments as far as where platform items should be. As far as April goes on our strategic plan, we have pretty much hit all three," Whitlock said.

One platform point for April was to nominate a philanthropic organization that SGA will sponsor. SGA has chosen Dance Marathon as its philanthropy.

"We feel like with Dance Marathon it's definitely trying to get started and become a little more established on campus. We don't feel like it is exclusively for one group of students on campus," Whitlock said. "If something is sponsored by greeks, usually only greeks go. If it is sponsored by a residence hall, usually only residents go. Dance Marathon is something that all students can be apart of and something we wanted to be apart of."

SGA will give about $1,000 to the organization as a part of its sponsorship of Dance Marathon. This money will come from the SGA's discretionary fund.