Rain soaked relay raises about $20,000

While the weather caused gray clouds to surround LaFollette Field, the spirits were high at Relay for Life from Friday night through Saturday morning.

Eric Furry, president of Relay for Life, said the weather put a small damper on the event because at around 3 a.m., the weather took a turn for the worst with lightning and thunder.

"We decided it was in the best interest of all the participants to go ahead and call the evening to an end," he said.

While they have not yet tallied all the money, Furry thinks they raised more than $20,000 as of Sunday evening.

Relay for Life has a saying: "cancer doesn't sleep, so neither do we." This is what happened when 60 teams of 10 to 20 members walked to celebrate cancer survivors, remember those lost to cancer and promote cancer awareness.

"People were there to fight cancer and to spend the night together as a community of supporters for finding a cure," Furry said. "At night, the mood turns a little solemn as we remember those we've lost to cancer or honor those who are fighting or have defeated cancer. After this, we turn to fighting back. It is our call to action to do something now to end cancer forever."

Each team had at least one member walking on the track surrounding LaFollette Field throughout the night.

Relay for Life had live bands, WCRD, cornhole, kickball and other games to keep participants busy and moving. In addition, the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life had booths for more information on cancer, survivors and advocacy.

Joe Young, Colleges Against Cancer committee member, said the weather did not hinder the experience or success of the event.

"People just kept going for the same reason they showed up," he said. "We are here to come together and to fight back against cancer and celebrate and remember people affected by cancer. I think the same reason they wanted to do Relay was just enough reason to have them ignore something small like rain."

Young said that any funds raised to fight cancer are important.

"Sometimes different people and Relay groups across universities and communities get hung up on the certain goal or amount to raise, but I think for us to even raise anything, let alone around $20,000, and have the people to do that was the greatest success," he said.