MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State's Pheister named national player of the week

For first time in his four-year college career, setter Ethan Pheister has won a national award.

Pheister was named the American Volleyball Coaches Association Men's Division I-II National Player of the Week on Monday.

Pheister had a match-high 45 assists as the No. 13 Ball State University men's volleyball team swept IPFW in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Tournament quarterfinals on Saturday.

The Cardinals out-hit the Mastodons .330 to .137, including having a match-high .448 attack percentage in the second game. Ball State also had four players finish the match with at least 10 kills — the first time it achieved that in a three-game MIVA match since 2003.

Along with the offense, Pheister had nine digs — second most on Ball State — and four blocks against IPFW.

Pheister, a Second-Team All-MIVA selection, becomes for the first Ball State player to be named a national player of the week since outside attacker Nick Meyer received the honor in March 2007.

He is also the third setter in Ball State's 46-year program history to win this award.

Ball State will play No. 10 Ohio State University in the MIVA Tournament semifinals at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Columbus, Ohio.

For more on this story continue to check bsudailynews.com and read Tuesday print edition of The Ball State Daily News.