Guest speaker refines speech about famous paintings

Professor to talk at Ball State Museum of Art

An Indiana University Bloomington professor will give this year's speech at the Edmund F. Petty Memorial Lecture today in the Museum of Art.

This year's lecture, "Sunshine and Shadow: Winslow Homer's Nervous Nostalgia in the 1870s," will be given by Sarah Burns, a professor of fine arts in the Department of History of Art at IU.

"I've given variations on this lecture a couple of times before," Burns said. "This is a chance to fine tune it."

Since Ball State University has two of Homer's watercolors on display in the Museum of Art, Burns said she wanted to incorporate them into her lecture.

"I wanted to make it relevant to the museum, and since I've written about Homer, I am very excited," she said. "He might be one of the greatest 19th century."

Curator of Education Tania Said said benefactor Francis Petty Sargent suggested Burns because Ball State has three total Homer pieces.

People who are unable to attend the lecture in person can watch a live streaming of the lecture online, Said said. Some students taking an art class this semester may get Art Card credits for attending the lecture, Said said.

The Petty Memorial Lecture starts at 5 p.m. in the Fine Arts Building Room 217. A free reception will follow the lecture in the Museum of Art Sculpture Court.