BOMB THREAT: No bomb found after search of Ball Gym

University Police found no danger after a recreation staff member found a note that he interpreted as a bomb threat at Ball Gymnasium Tuesday night.

UPD received the call at around 8:20 p.m. Three hours later, Tony Proudfoot, associate vice president for Marketing and Communications, said the situation was all clear.

University Police officers started to block off the area around Ball Gym within 10 minutes of receiving the call.
Gene Burton said Ball Gym and Cooper Science Building were evacuated, and people coming out of West Quad were directed away from Ball Gym.

Traffic was blocked by police at the intersection of Tillotson and Riverside avenues, in front of the Fine Arts Building and in front of the drive to Lucina Hall, Proudfoot said.

This was the second bomb threat at Ball State University this year. In April, the area around the LaFollette Complex was blocked off for about three hours after a bomb threat was called in from a campus blue-light phone.  

Unlike LaFollette, Proudfoot said if there was a bomb in Ball Gym the damage could have spread farther.

"There were fewer people and more open space," he said. "The blast could have travelled farther."

Text alerts were issued to students announcing that a bomb threat had been made at Ball Gym, but when there was a threat made at LaFollette, no text alerts were sent.

With the bomb threat at LaFollette, there were still students moving around and it was still early morning.

"The time of day and the situation were different," Proudfoot said.

Muncie Police Department and UPD worked with the Yorktown Police Department, Sheriff's Department and Delaware County Bomb Squad to resolve the situation.

Members of the UPD on the scene of the bomb threat were not available for comment.

Follow the story online at bsudailynews.com.


Comments

More from The Daily






This Week's Digital Issue