Students enjoy warm weather, fight long lines for Late Nite Carnival

Lights, music, games, warm weather and long lines.

Students encountered a blend of these elements in their Late Nite Carnival experience Friday night.

With thrill rides, food carts, game booths and entertainment, the event drew thousands of people - students and their families - to Late Nite's biggest event of the year.

For people who preregistered, the night began smoothly.

Senior Spanish education major Leslie Collins said she and her friends went to the Carnival at 8 p.m. and got on every ride before more people showed up.

"We preregistered, and now we are playing games," she said. "It's been going well for us so far."

Collins said she and her friends were enjoying the carnival, which is the last main campus event before finals.

"I think it's a great event to celebrate the end of the year and hang out with friends," she said. "Especially because we have only a week left before finals."

However, after 9 p.m. the lines for rides and games noticeably increased.

Freshman anthropology major Victoria Lucas said she had been waiting in line for the Screamer for more than 20 minutes. Despite the wait, however, she said she was having fun.

"I think this event is awesome. I'm really liking it," she said. "I haven't felt like I've waited long in line."

Late Nite officer Funmmy Awoyomi said more people were showing up to the event then last year. Every Late Nite member was working that night, she said.

"We have about 30 Late Nite officers and 30 volunteers added to the rest of the Late Nite staff," she said.

Other organizations on campus participated helping during the event, Awoyomi said.

"We have to recognize the people from Elliott Hall put a lot of work in this," she said. "But some other organizations, like Spectrum and Student Government Association, also put their part in it."

Awoyomi said she thought despite the amount of work necessary to put on the event, she had fun.

"We were very busy this year," she said. "But I would definitely do it again."